1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Xls or 9.5 v ss

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by josh9410, Feb 13, 2010.

1. josh9410

josh9410 Member

looking at buying a new plow next year right now its between a 9.5 v ss or a XLS im leaning towards the XLS but i havent heard to much about them what do you guys think?

2. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Depends what your doing, drives, lots, ect? xls will carry a little more snow

3. josh9410

josh9410 Member

i will be doing drives, but more commercial lots...mainly i just want a versitle plow i have a 8' mm1 currently it pushed alot of snow but i just think its time to send her to retirement

4. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

what will this plow be mounted to they are very heavy from what I here not sure how well the chevys carry them maybe REPOMAN will see this post I believe he has one

5. josh9410

josh9410 Member

i have a 02 chevy 2500hd i have seen a few local trucks with them on, so i know my truck will carry it just fine, mainly im just looking for peoples opinions on the xls since where im at i only know of a few, i know i cant go wrong with the V

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Both plows have some benefits, and some serious issues. You should do some reading here. There is a whole forum dedicated to Fisher. Plenty of reading.

7. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

go with the 9.5 stainless V. Been running it for 4 years and its been great!

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

The XLS is amazing, I'll never go back to a straight blade. I've never run the Xtreme V, but from what I've heard their also a good choice. Take 2cor's advice though and do some reading on both.

If you've got anything bigger then the 6.0, don't bother with the XLS or the 9.5 Xtv. Screw the specs, I can tell you first hand it's an extremely heavy plow for the truck.

9. josh9410

josh9410 Member

thanks for the help guys...ive been doing alot of reading...and i think its going to be a XLS...will let you guys know what i buy

10. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I would definetly do some reading between the two. With that said I udgraded a 4 year old x blade to an x vee and love it, no issues at all. I have seen some of these "power plows" after little use and they seem to have take it really rough, it seems like there are way to many moving parts. Especially digging the wings into frozen snowbanks, something's gonna beak just a matter of time. I've seen both blizzards and fishers absolutey destroyed in no time but who knows it could also be the driver.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  11. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork Senior Member

go with the v, the scoop function will make cleaning up your parking lots much easier.I agree with the previous statement,most of the wideouts or xls or blizzards ive seen that get off the blacktop are pretty beat, or the function doesnt work anymore.

12. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Xls is by far more efficient than a V. I have both and the V is nice but especially in a parking lot atmosphere the XLS is more productive and saves time. Being able to have a wing forward taking away snow from trailing off is a plus. The XLS Windrows a lot better as well, sucks that it isn't offered in stainless but still a good plow.

With people saying "more moving parts more to break" a lot of people said that about V plows when they came out and look how popular they are now. Even the XV's have problems, plows are used and abused they are going to have problems nothing is bullet proof.

13. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

heck, I wish I had both! The only question I have about the XLS is backdragging ability and scraping. Wonder how they compare in those departments to the XV.

14. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

The XLS scrapes very well. Your talking about a 1005 lbs plow after all. I'm not sure how the XtV Does, but it's 980 lbs if I remember right. It also has a back drag option you can purchase.

15. josh9410

josh9410 Member

well...its official i pulled the trigger and ordered a shiney new 9.5 ss extreme v my dealer talked me out of the xls...I think that alot of that had to do with the pictures he showed me of one that he worked on at the begining of the year, a local guy was plowing oil field lease roads with his and busted the wings right off of it.(insurance ended up totaling the plow out) thanks for the input guys

16. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

Running the same plow on my 08 f250. U will love it. The blade itself is 3 years old and its been great.

17. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Yup I think you made a good choice, you will like it.