1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XLS on srw 3/4 ton??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JD 990, Feb 16, 2009.

1. JD 990

JD 990 Member
    from Maine

Hi guys I know this has been asked before about wideouts. But has anyone put an XLS on a srw 3/4 ton pickup. Would it be to much weight or would it just need timbrens and ballest. Thanks

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

You'll be fine..:drinkup:

Use ballast weight up against the rear tailgate...700-1000#'s

Get timbrens if you want your truck to sit a tad bit more level, and your front end won't drop as bad.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd do it. Run some ballast and use timbrens or airbags on the front if needed. Most 3/4ton and 1ton front ends are the same, some have different #rated springs but you can swap them around if needed.

As far as the srw thing goes that should have no effect on it's ability to hold the plow. After all the plow is off the front, not the back.

4. JD 990

JD 990 Member
    from Maine

Thanks guys! I just didn't know even though the XLS is only 50 pounds heavier I didn't know if it would make a difference. I asked because I would defiantly go with a fisher because I like trip edge plows better than trip blade.

5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I didnt know you could get a dually 3/4 ton truck???????????????????????

I wouldnt think twice about it, see my sig.... big POS mega rev on my 1 ton srw

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

They are special order, you know, like the cumming's motors in dodge's.

7. JD 990

JD 990 Member
    from Maine

What do you mean you wouldent think twice about it. You would or wouldent. The reason I am asking for clarifacation is because I am only 13 and when I get a truck It will be a 3/4 ton and I want to put an XLS on it but I want to make shur it will be ok.

8. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

If u put the xls on a F-250 make sure you post a vid of the circus act balancing on the two front wheels! ;) The xls plows are 1,065 Ibs with the mount. Rated for full tonne trucks, but what do I know......? :D

9. JD 990

JD 990 Member
    from Maine

The reason I would conciter it is because the fisher ematch says they will put one on. It just says 980 pounds of ballest.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  10. MileHigh

Hmmm...I thought you would know better creative...

There is no difference...that's right NONE between the front ends of 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups...You can get the same rated springs for either truck....goes all the way up to the F-550...what you didn't know??...yup, you can put 7k springs on an f-250...F550's don't even come stock with those..

So, the only differences in these trucks between the F250, 350, 450, and 550 are the Rear Axle Weight Ratings...Some people just don't pay attention to this stuff.

Your Video of an F250's front end and the F350's front end with the same plow...would be, that's right...the same....

The FAWR on Superduties are available as #4800, #5200, #5600, #6000, and #7000.

11. JD 990

JD 990 Member
    from Maine

Thanks BladeScape I didn't know all the particulars but I figured if ematch said it then I figured it would be fine.

12. MileHigh

Yup, and #980 ballast sounds right on the mark...

find out what your Front Axle Weight Rating is..and drive nice.

13. creativedesigns

Yeah, Bladescape comes to the rescue alright! :rolleyes: Manufacturers make "bigger" trucks for a reason, & with that comes "larger "parts. I'll tell ya somethin, I have one of each now, an F-150, 250,350 & 550 all super duty. If you compare the parts between the 250 & 350, you will see a size difference in bearings, seals, brake pads, drums/rotors, u-joints, hubs & diff gears. You will find different part numbers for the same item on the two different trucks :nod:

But yeah, if you want to add stronger aftermarket springs on a 3/4 tonne by all means man, go for it! It'll support the Xls then. But my point is that the part sizes are different!

14. JD 990

JD 990 Member
    from Maine

I'm not trying to start a fight guys. As I said before I am only 13. I just want to learn what I can know before I get my license so when I do I can get what I want but be safe to. I do have to thank you guys for being as nice as you have been expetialy sense I am only 13 most people wouldnt give me a second look, or thought.

15. MileHigh

O WOW...Where did you get an F150 Superduty??? Must have been a custom build huh:dizzy::dizzy:

I think the only difference between the front end on a 350 and a 250 are that the 350's brakes are larger.

And any of the spring ratings from the ford factory will support that just fine...SINCE THERE ALL THE SAME FOR THE 250-350

16. creativedesigns

There' ya go again, sayin the same stuff you said in ur last post! ....Ur not getting it, lol I dunno, I don't understand you? :confused: :confused: ?

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd say at 13 what plow your going to be putting on a truck isn't bit big of a concern. I'd be more worried about where your getting the green to pay for the truck, plow, gas, insurance, maintenance,etc. Not saying that by the time your 16 it can't be done as I don't know what you have saved up now, nor do I care but I wouldn't spend my whole savings on a truck and plow. That leaves you with very little to no money if something goes wrong.

Just my 2 cents as a 19y/o who got into this at 17.

18. JD 990

JD 990 Member
    from Maine

Hey creative and blade scape I wasnt trying to start a fight between you to. I just wanted to get some information.

19. MileHigh

lol...you said you have a F150 Superduty....They don't make one.

I repeated myself cause you don't seem to get that the front ends on 250's and 350's are rated to carry the same load...smart guy.

20. JD 990

JD 990 Member
    from Maine

I more need to pay for gas and plow my parents said they will pay for the truck. Plus I will probably start off with residental mabe a couple small commercial and were I live no one asks about insurance. So thats one less thing and I can go under my uncles commercial insurance if I have to. p.s. my uncle will be plowing with his truck also and hes a roofer who works for himself so when it snows hes sitting at home which means he will be ready all the time.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009