1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XLS on my dodge 2500

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by bigman, Jan 31, 2011.

1. bigman

bigman Junior Member
    from Mass.

Just wondering if any of you guys went against the fisher dealer and put a XLS on your dodge 2500 with a cummins and if the dodge can handle the plow and if you had to mod the suspension.wesport

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My friend has a Fisher 9.5' Xtreme V on his Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins and he hasn't had any trouble with it.

4. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I run a 9.5 Extreme V on my 3500, 1st winter so had a 8.5 on for 2 seasons.
    No issues, same truck but you can tell the difference between a 8.5 to a 9.5 in weight!

XLS is an extra 200 pounds I believe, will be heavy for sure but I put one on!

5. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

Just checked.....the XLS is actually lighter vs the 9.5 Extreme V....your good to go IMO

6. bigman

bigman Junior Member
    from Mass.

Thanks for all your help i dont under stand why fisher says that this plow will only go on a 4500 or bigger dodge

7. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

Because the front end isn't rated for a plow that heavy and they won't assume liability if something goes wrong. You see a lot of GM's with the XLS and they have even a lower rating for the front as the Dodge's.

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

The XLS is actually heavier then the XV by 30 or so lbs due to the cutting edge not being included in the XLS weight factor, where as the XV comes with a cutting edge....not that it matters, we're only talking a bag of peanuts. Your absolutely right, the 8.5 XV is like a feather in comparison to the 9.5 and XLS. I had ClamDiggers 8.5 on my truck a few weeks ago and I barley noticed it. If my truck weren't so long, I might.....nah, scratch that, I love my XLS, I can't see parting with it. The truck will go first.

My truck was approved for the XLS......even with all the upgrades my truck has, plow prep, bigger keys, twisted out T bars, bigger shocks, along with Timbrens....you can surely feel it, even with 670 lbs of ballast right up against the tailgate (requires only 400 lbs by the book). I almost dare to say, they may want to start re thinking their standards if they haven't already done so.

To the OP: you might consider how far you actually drive with the plow, and what kind plowing you do. If you have longer then average commutes between most accounts, you may want to stick with a 8.5 xv. If your doing job on top of job, or mostly parking lots...have at it IMO.

9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

weight........it's not that hard to figure out. Yes some of the Dodge's have heavier front ends (4800 vs 5200)....but take into consideration there must be a reasonable explanation; like heavier power plants, heavier components, (Doesn't the 2500 & higher Dodges come with a solid front axle?), heavier frames, ....Crapier quality, lol j/k on that last one. Thumbs Up

10. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

What year truck you have? That is a very heavy plow at 985. I have Xblade thats 790 and front end doesnt move. So it should handle it. But keep in mind how pricey front end parts are on these trucks. Also you will beed probably 1000pounds of ballast

11. bigman

bigman Junior Member
    from Mass.

Yes it has a solid front end right now a have a 7.6 RD and i don't like it loosing work because it will not scrape I like the XLS because it has more options just trying to see if it is possible or not i see that plow guys are putting them on dodge 2500 just looking to see what i have to do to the front end to make it work.

12. bigman

bigman Junior Member
    from Mass.

2006 dodge 2500 snow plow package

I know ball joints and tie rod ends already thats a lot of ballast just cant get my mind off the XLS

13. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

If you want a nice scraping plow get a Xblade and put a regular edge on it.

Ball jointts 250 each

Hub assembly after you can get it off 500

Having a XLS plow on a truck that cant handle it not so priceless

14. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

On e other question Will you get paid that much more if you had this plow? Those plows are what like 9k list price. Go buy a used Xblade and hook right up to it and it will only cost you about 3k for a real nice used one

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=1183724

15. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

there not that much 6k?

16. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

you need to shop around those parts are much less than what you posted.

To the OP the truck will handle it fine,your diesel is very heavy plus the weight of the plow will put it over the front weight rating.

17. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

It was kinda a joke Plow guy. But Dodge Cummins Ball joints are like 200 each and that damm hub is very expensive like 275. And can be a PIA to get them off. Still if he has to pay out over 1k a year in front end parts is the plow worth it? He can buy a used Xblade for half of what he would pay for a XLS

18. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry man hard to catch through text but I get it now lol.

19. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

20. orenlasko

orenlasko Senior Member

Ok folks. If it is a 2010 or newer and has a plow pkg it has a 5500lb front end. Also the actualmcost of ball joints from the dealer is about $1k plus minus depending. I have always had mine warrantied and now you have a choice of Carli's which have a lifetime warranty.

Just my .02c

Cheers.