1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XLS on 2012 F-350 6.8 box Super Cab No Go

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Stowe, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Stowe

Stowe Member

The e-match says no xls on the truck and I talked to Fisher they said no but could not give a reason why. Anyone heard of this. This is for a 2012 F-350 6.8 Box super cab. Any help would be appreciated.

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

3. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Too heavy for the truck. I'm running a PH1 8611LP same box but crew cab. The potential is there for you to overload the front axle. I think they figure 2 people up front plus the blade is too much is what I heard from a dealer.

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

I discovered the same thing on my new 08 F-350....too late, I already bought my new XLS. I played with E Match to see what's what, there are many configurations that fit with the XLS, so I'm adding 200lbs in ballast and a set of Timbrens and calling it good.

5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I have one on an 08 F-250.......Put about 700# of Ballast and no Timbrens...Handles it just Fine....Its a Plowing Missle...:salute:

6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

A lot of us are running big plows on fords with no issues. Your truck can handle an XLS no problemo.

7. Stowe

Stowe Member

Yes 6.7 diesel. Hear is the part that baffles me in 2011 it was okay. And 2012 it's okay on the F-250 supercab and F-350 reg and crew cab but not supercab all diesel any help would be great. I really want an XLS.

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

You would have to research what has changed within those years via Ford to get an actual answer. I'm sure it's something ridiculously small.....I wouldn't hesitate adding an XLS to that truck.

9. Grassman09

I'm putting close to 2000lbs ballast timbrens up front and air bags in the back and calling it a nite. I know a guy who wanted to put a XLS on a late 2000 diesel 2500 dealer told him its too heavy for your truck and you will be *ucked if DOT pulls you over.

10. Stowe

Stowe Member

V or XLS on F-350

Got the okay on the XLS from fisher should I go with the V or XLS?

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

I think that's over kill. 800 lbs - 1000 lbs is more then sufficient. I mounted my XLS to my new truck tonight for the first time, I barely notice that it's even on there. That's with no ballast what so ever. I plan to add 600 lbs - 800 lbs and calling it good. The nose went down maybe an 1" to an 1.5".

I'm not sure what's up with D&D and their calculations....I think someone fell asleep at the wheel on this one. As I said, I can barely notice that the plow is even on this truck. Yet, on my old truck (02 2500 HD) the XLS was a recommended plow, the word "struggle" comes to mind. Even with upgraded keys, turned out torsion bars, timbrens, and double the recommended ballast....I think it was too much for that truck IMHO.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

ahhhh, ok. Can you elaborate on that for us? How did that go down?

XLS, most definitely.

13. Grassman09

This is my ballast box that will hold the weight. It in itself is 700lbs and doesn't do much to the rear end. I knew some people that ran blizzard 8611LoPros on GM 2500HD. There was maybe 2" of clearance from the ground to the power hitch.
    [​IMG]

14. Stowe

Stowe Member

Xls

I just got the following information on your question. This from our engineering team:

I am researching a weight issue in the data. I have run a manual calculation on that truck with 2012 weights from the 18" wheel version and it will take an XLS with 700 lbs of ballast. The published weights we currently list in E-match are for the 17" wheel equipped 2012 truck that is 299 lbs heavier on the front end. That version will not take an XLS.

So: 18" wheel version = yes.
    17" wheel version = no.

Hopefully, that helps. Have a good night!

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

Thumbs Up Right on, that explains it!

I believe it, my GM held it's own, but it had no business with that size plow.

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

hmmm, can you post his email address, or send it to me ( RepoMan207@aol.com ) please? I have the 20" wheels on my 08, I'm wondering if I'm good to go as well.

17. fordpsd

fordpsd Senior Member

I just put a XLS on my f350 crewcab last week and it seems to handle it fine. Only drops about 1.5" in the front without any ballast. Cant wait to get some snow so i can try it out.

18. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

:confused: :dizzy: No way 2 17" wheels are 299lbs heavier than 2 18" wheels... :rolleyes:

More likely they're looking at a difference in FAWR between the 17" truck and 18" truck, which is Ford selected based on options and packages. As mentioned though, they all have 6k front axles, you just may want to upgrade the coils in the front.

19. Stowe

Stowe Member

20. Stowe

Stowe Member

Why XLS verse V

The V is stainless looks and last longer.
    and I could put wings on it to make it bigger and still have a V and scoop