1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XLS Hard Drop

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Chevyguy04, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Chevyguy04

Chevyguy04 Junior Member

I'm used to Blizzards so this might just be how a Fisher is, but I have a new XLS and it drops real hard. I get nervous running it through condo sites as it is a lot louder than the Blizzards I have. What kind of adjustment can be done? I checked out the schematic, can the S2 valve be adjusted to allow the fluid to flow less?
  2. tractorbill

tractorbill Member

slip the back plastic cover out of the rubber retainer on the top you will see a slotted screw in the manifold on passenger side screw it in to slow it down you will have to go quite a ways to slow it down. I screw it all the way in then back out a 1/4 turn to start.
  3. Chevyguy04

Chevyguy04 Junior Member

Is that the pump relief valve?

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i have a fisher that drops hard too. if i do this adjustment is it going to cause it to raise slower as well?
  5. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Yes it is very easy it should take less than 5 min. When we put my ExtremeV together and raised it to bleed the system and dropped it I thought we cracked the concrete!!! We adjusted 2-3 times till i was happy with the drop speed.

No it has nothing to do with raising the plow
  6. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

i believe the screw is called a quil
  7. Chevyguy04

Chevyguy04 Junior Member

Now your telling me two things the Quill and pressure relief valve are two different things. The quill is the screw under the lift solenoid that faces the truck, is it that one, or is it the pressure relief on the drivers side of the block?
  8. tractorbill

tractorbill Member

no its not the pressure relief valve that adjusts it.Its the Quill or scerw whatever you want to call it, it only adjusts the drop speed. Its the same for XLS and Xtreme v.
  9. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Ok to cover what I said.

make sure plow is dropped on the ground

It is called a quill, which is on the Valve manifold. which I thought you were just verifying that you found it. (that was my bad sorry)

I believe looking at my manual, the XLS the Quill is on the backside of the hydrolic assembly. get it so your back cover is off. the quill will be on your driverside (L) and its on the lower left on the Valve manifold.

clockwise to decrease drop

Dont you have a owners manual???? Its spelled out how to adjust it???
  10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

The quill for the xls and extreme v are on the back of the pump facing the truck.take the back cover and turn it all the way in to the slowest drop speed.then turn it back out to increase speed. The first time I dropped both of my blades they hit so hard I thought I was going to crack the cemet. Very simple to do.good luck.
  11. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

I like it when it drops hard, shakes all the snow off the plow, haha