1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

XLS Broke A Frame

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 08F250, Dec 27, 2010.

1. 08F250

08F250 Junior Member

So went plowing last night at went to raise my plow and it didn't come up. The plate that the chain attaches to snapped right off. Then I notice that the A-frame on one side is completely detached and that the other part of the A-Frame is almost all the way off. I know bad on my part for not checking the plow out before the season but its been a busy year. It is obvious that this was not all caused by this first plowing and that it has been an issue for some time.

I had my Mechanic come down to put it on his flat bed to tow it in and he said the welds on the a-frame didn't even penetrate the metal plate that is attached to the plow.

I am waiting for the plow shop to open to find out what they are going to do. My Mechanic said to him the entire plow is junk because of all the stress it probably has been putting on the hydraulics.

Anyone else have issues with welding problems on Fisher plows. I bought this last year so its under 2 years old and I only plow my driveway and a commercial lot that is not very big maybe 20 car parking lot.

I will try to post some pictures once It gets light out.

2. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

You bought an XLS to plow one driveway and one lot? It is possible the welds weren't thorough

3. 08F250

08F250 Junior Member

This is only my second year plowing again and my schedule got really busy so I didn't pick up any new accounts. I got it also because i have a huge driveway so it helps get it done fast.

The welds did not penetrate and that is why they broke as far as I can see and my mechanic is telling me

4. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

The welds on my triangle piece are garbage. Like you said they are basically surface welds "just for looks"

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

DD has had many weld issues over the past few years. There have been many threads complaining about it.

6. 08F250

08F250 Junior Member

How is Fisher Warranty when it comes to fixing or replacing?

7. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I would suggest getting ahold of your dealer ASAP and start discussing Warranty issues on this Plow....Post some pictures of the issue...I would like to see them...

8. 08F250

08F250 Junior Member

I already contacted them they said they have to take pictures and send them to Fisher to see what Fisher is going to do. I hope to get some pictures today if possible but the plow might already be on its way to the dealer.

9. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I had an extreme v with broken welds on the pass side, fortunately I noticed it off season. The local dealer had it from July til November waiting for fisher to look at it. First the dealer said he could weld it, but I wanted it replaced and it was July so I waited and waited. In october Fisher looked at had the dealer replace it for free. I couldn't afford to wait for warranty work this tome of year I would get it welded now

10. 08F250

08F250 Junior Member

Well i have someone taking care of my driveway and the one lot I do so I will wait. I want it replaced at this point I don't think any amount of fixing is going to make me feel good about them fixing it because god knows what else might be close to breaking because of the stress of that break

11. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

I agree with having them "do right" and replace it but if it is not tweaked why wouldnt you have a "known" GOOD welder in you area Weld it? At least at that point you know its done right?

~~~~~NOTE~~~~
    im not saying this to upset you or rock the boat. just throwing out my opinion!

12. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Double Post

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  13. 08F250

08F250 Junior Member

No its fine, I was going to have my mechanic weld it but because its been broken and not noticed the A frame is more like an double l l frame. Because one side was broken the frame bent the driver side to the driver side so that the passenger side is about 6 inches from where it should weld to the plow.

Maybe a welder could straighten it out but honestly I would rather have it replaced than to have a welder fix it and then have Fisher not do anything because I had someone fix it.

Like I said I don't do a lot of plowing so its not a big deal. When i bought the plow I had plans of doing more but life happens and I just don't have the time in my day or night to take on more work.

14. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Im sure since its under Warrenty they should give you a new one. But I would not let them know that you can be bailed out by a buddy, and im sure the dealer is out straight so that they will just replace it rather than have a guy work on it for 4hrs!!!

15. 08F250

08F250 Junior Member

I am not planning on going easy on them or telling them I don't need it I mean I am still paying for my buddy to plow my driveway so it is costing me money. Just not as much as it would cost some of you who do this more professionally than I do

16. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

So what makes you think that a new replacement part will be any better than what you have with the issues with the current welds. This does sound like a really difficult fix (welding and “fish plating”) to get you back to plowing. You are in the height of the season, so get back out there and stop waiting for the corporate BS decision. How much is left on your “warranty” anyway. I have fixed some real messed up frames, not really from poor welds but from hitting objects that do not move and they are stilll going strong.
    T.J.

17. 08F250

08F250 Junior Member

I am very uneasy about a replacement part but I just have to wait to see what Fisher says if they are going to replace the entire plow I will probably not get the XLS again. I am also having them price out what the cost is going to be to fix this I can't imagine it will be cheap. I have 1 season on the plow this would be my second season so its covered under their 2 season warranty. Literally I plowed last year 10 storms if that doing my driveway and a parking lot plus a few driveways here and there on the side so I can imagine if this was a plow someone that did commercial it would have broke the day of the first storm

I just was thinking this morning what if this all snapped as I was driving down the road at 30+ mph? The blade falls and my truck runs it over and who knows from that point on. Just glad it happened the way it did when there was no consequences like that. As well glad my truck did not end up with damage

18. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Just throwing something out there.

In your first post you explain to us what has happened to the plow. You also have told us that there is no way that all the damage incurred happened on the last plow, but rather over time.

So my question would be what make's you think that Fisher is going to replace your whole plow? Some of this damage by your own statement is your responsibility due to lack of maintenance, in this case not even noticing you had a problem until the plow was ready to fall off the truck.

I wish you luck with the outcome but IMO don't see it going the way that you want it to.

19. 08F250

08F250 Junior Member

Should i expect a plow to fall apart the after that little use? Should I expect them sell a plow that has defective welds? I mean if the weld broke because of use not because they didn't weld it properly that is a different story but I plowed 10 storms hardly used it. By your statement your saying Fisher shouldn't replace it even though its clear the weld didn't penetrate the metal?

If you have ever seen the XLS a-frame you will see that the plate that connects to the chain is on top of the A-frame making it something you wouldn't notice easily unless you got under the plow The only way I noticed it easily now is that the plate snapped off and made it very visible.

If Fisher takes your stance and blames me well I wish them luck, I am not one to go quietly.

20. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

I have to say fisher QC is not very good lately with some things not sure a person or a robot is welding these together but all the metal is the same so the heat setting should all be the same I would like to see some pics of this if you have some hope they take care of the problem for you