1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Xl vers xlt vers fx4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dieselss, Mar 15, 2015.

1. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Looking at 2011 and 2012 250, 350 what's the difference between them
    Some xlts have the touch screen some don't
    Some have the brake controller and the switches done don't
    Some have the sync some don't.
    And fx4 comes with what?.
    And trying to find a shift on floor 4x4 seems impossible.

2. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

3. dieselss

Didn't know there were 3 versions of an xlt.

4. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

I have an XL FX4 with the premium package.

ESOF, Power windows and locks, Locker, Brake controller, and added upfitter switches.

Didn't want to pay for the XLT package, and I like my rubber floor etc. I will never buy a particular package vehicle for the entertainment system for as long as Ford sticks to double din, just about any nice screen fits in there.

5. dieselss

Looking at 2 trucks, ones xlt ones xl. Only differences I see so far are,
    Chrome front end, power seats, and the controls on the right side of the steering wheel. Oh and about 10,000 more so far.

6. F250/XLS

F250/XLS Senior Member
    from Canada

There are as many version XLT as what the dealer orders them,,,,

A basic XLT does nt have much but most dealer will order them with some
    Decent options,,,,

7. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 2011 XL and now a 2015 XL. Both were factory ordered. Salesman told me manual hubs and floor shift were more heavy duty and less prone to trouble. Most of these trucks come with shift on the fly. Hope you can find the manual hubs and shifter. Since the XL is the basic truck, you might want to focus on the XL series. As you go up the ladder, you find more bells and whistles.

8. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

It's next to impossible to find a manual transfer case anymore. Seems like everyone wants a knob. That doesn't matter what brand you buy.

9. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

I've had more troubles with manual t-case linkages than t-case motors.

Main problem has always been auto hubs, and on these at least you can manually lock them in.

10. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I have an 11 xl fx4 with I think the power package. It has manual hubs and floor lever. Power window and doors, heated mirrors. If you're not buying new you will just have to be patient

11. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a 12 F250 XLT that came with a manual t-case. My 04 has the auto hubs that don't work and switch on the dash. I have always liked having a manual t-case I guess I just feel they are more reliable.

12. dieselss

I got time, so no hurry. Just odd that only a few are on the floor.

13. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

$100-$150 for a spare motor is you're that afraid of ESOF.

14. dieselss

That's just the motor, which is usually the main component to go out. However, there's also the computer as well.
    Never liked electric 4x4.

15. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Give me the knob on the dash every day of the week, and keep that floor lever for scrap metal. People once distrusted power windows and cruise control and automatic transmissions too....

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

On my 11th Super Duty since 99, never had problems or floor shifter/hubs

17. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

$150! For my 2006 I just paid $350. Retail was over $500 bucks. Give me a pull stick any day of the week. What sucks is even most cab and chassis's have the stupid knob.

18. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Of course you had no problems. When the truck gets dirty, you buy a new one !!!Thumbs Up

19. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

My 02 the ESOF worked fine, the hubs were not used regularly so they pretty much fused open. I replaced them with Warns and sealed off the vacuum lines. Warns failed and they replaced them under warranty.

My 11 the factory hub failed on the passengers side. I was able to force it into the locked position until I could take it in. They fixed it under warranty with a 100 dollar deductible.

Having used both I prefer the stick, but sometimes it is a PITA when switching between 4x4 and 2 frequently. I think either system works fine, but for me the weak point is the hubs themselves. I was surprised to read on here the amount of failures people were experiencing, then sure enough I did too.

I figured by now ford would have figured it out, not sure why they are so prone to failure on a newer truck. Sorry for rambling.

20. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

My hubs wouldn't vac lock this year after we got a day of 35F weather and snow, then it dipped to -10F / -20F for a while. (imagine I got moisture in the system), had no problems manually locking the hubs, smooth as butter.