1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

xblade vs. mm2

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BoulderBronco, Jan 20, 2007.

1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

I am looking at getting a new plow. I have run the old speedcast models my whole life. Now to the new technology. I can get a new regular 8' mm2 for $3450 or the Xblade 8' for $3500. Seems the Xblade is a bit better with 12 gauge steel vs. 11 gauge on the regular. Also the X is 31 inches high vs 29 on the regular mm2. Other than that what is the major difference? Which would you buy? Pros/Cons of each? My dad has 5 or so MM1 plows and never has any problems with any of them. Thanks.

2. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

Actuelly the lower number gauge indicates a heavier plate steel, kinda of like wire gauges as well.. lower is thicker. The X blade doesn't need to have as thick of a blade because the xbracing on the back helps maintain the torsional strength that the thicker plate steel and ribs provide on the older style. The actual hydraulics and headgear should be very similar from plow to plow so it becomes personal preference. I would look specifically ast wear edge and attack angle if everything else is given. Seems the x-blade would scrape better with the a better attack angle but some have said that the more agressive angle causes excessive cutting edge wear. Here's some things to think about! :salute:

3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah I have noticed lots of posts about the x blade tearing through edges

4. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Keep in mind, the X-blade, is really the x-cross bracing, then a skin put on front of. unlock mm2 the bracing never really touches the front skin or mold board. on the xblade the bracing and mold board are seperate.

5. BoulderBronco

Good point. I didn't catch that.
    I like the X-blades higher 31" vs the regular 29". Plus it's "attack" angle for cutting the ice and hardpack. But I wonder if that makes the trip edge tougher to trip? So when I hit a manhole cover am I going to lose all my teeth instead of just a few? I can't really compare them because I am in Colorado and there is nowhere out here where I can see them in a showroom or in action. I think I am the only guy in my whole town running a Fisher.

6. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

to me, because of the steeper attack angle, it would trip easier if anything because it has more a vertical alignment. I would equate to trying a push a fridge over. If its vertical there is less force required to push it over then if it were leaning back on. But maybe the difference is made up in more compression springs with a greater spring constant. just my 2 cents. I personally like the X blade and it will probably be my next blade of choice. :salute:

7. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

The X-Blades are much nicer than the standard Fisher blades and in my opinion are worth the extra $50.00. As for the trip edge, it trips just as easy, if not easier than the original Fishers and the increased attack angle really peals up the snow and ice. When the X-Blades first came out, they really wore down cutting edges quickly. However, Fisher has since added a (2) large chunks of steel stock to the back of the base angle, which has help to prolong the life of the cutting edge.

8. BoulderBronco

Thanks guys. Sounds like the X is a good choice. I was thinking the improved "cutting" meant the blade was angled "up" vs. "down." As if the back mounting points were on the ground giving the cutting edge more angle. But it sounds like it's the other way. The X blade is more upright and angled "down" more. I think that is the way I'll be going.

9. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Oh yeah. I'm not sure if you saw the X-Blade video yet, but it's very informative.

Over the past few years, I've owned a Western Uni-Mount, a Blizzard 810 and (2) X-Blades and the X-Blades have been the best hands down. Although the Western was well-built and could take a beating without major issues, which is a lot more than I can say for the Blizzard (bend wing, wings that pop out, slow hydros, etc.), these X-Blades are just awesome. Currently, my buddy and I both have 9' X-Blades (I recently upgraded from an 8' to a 9') and plow for a friend of ours that owns a landscaping company. Well one night 2 years ago, we were all plowing a large commercial lot. My buddy had his 9' X-Blade, I had my 8' X-Blade and our landscaper friend had his Blizzard 810. We plowed for hours on end and the X-Blades performed flawlessly, while the Blizzard experienced some major mechanical failures (cracked welds, broken cutting edge, electrical issues, etc.). Well by the time we were done, our landscaper friend was so impressed with the scraping ability and durability of the X-Blades, that he went out and put a 9' on the newest truck in his fleet and let his brother use the truck with the Blizzard.

Bottom line is that we plow pretty hard, not crazy, but hard enough and they've never let us down. If you're looking for a well built straight blade, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the X-Blade.

10. BoulderBronco

Sweet. I do some pretty serious plowing out here. Even on a 2-3" snow I am out plowing for 6-8 hrs straight. On the big snows I am out for 24-36 hours straight if not more. X-blade it is.