1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

xblade help trip edge replacement/base angle

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by xrs800, Oct 7, 2010.

1. xrs800

xrs800 Junior Member
    from MASS

I.have a xblade and I need to replace the trip edge/ base angle. I have the new edge and spring removal tool. Anyone done this or in the woburn area that could help me or or do the work for me. Salem brake wants too much for labor.

2. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Why do you need to replace the base angle? If it's bent that could explain why they want so much money to do the job as there may be more to the story than you are telling us.

If it's not bent it's a fairly straighforward replacement.

3. xrs800

xrs800 Junior Member
    from MASS

Not bent they want 250 labor

4. Big Dog D

Did you wear it down too far?

All you need to do is go through and compress and pin the springs so that they can be removed safely and then undo all of the pins holding the angle in place swap out the angle, install pins, reinstall springs and uncompress them.

5. xrs800

xrs800 Junior Member
    from MASS

yeah it is worn down to much for my liking. anyone else do this

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Can you just install a new cutting edge?

7. Big Dog D

They are OK to be worn down some. Post up a couple of pics so that we can see.

Usually if there is at least 3/4'' to an inch or so of steel left below the bolt holes and you haven't worn out the bottom of the spring mounts you are ok.

8. xrs800

xrs800 Junior Member
    from MASS

the holes for the bolts for the cutting edge are exposed on both sides. It is about 1/4" of steel left holding on the middle bolts/

9. xrs800

xrs800 Junior Member
    from MASS

Update its all fixed. new cutting edge, no injuries just about 2 hrs labor thanks to the dam cotter pins being tricky to get out