1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Xblade Cutting edge?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BigDave12768, Jan 22, 2009.

1. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Can I bolt up a regular cuttung edge to and xbalde. I know the xblade has 10 bolts. But the 2 extra look like they could be skipped. I also understand I need the 5/8 holes. But I found a 8x8x5/8 with 5/8 holes. That 6 inch one from Fisher seems a bit useless. Will it bolt up. I have seen x blades with regular edges. Just not sure if they had special holes punched

2. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

I have a regular edge on my 9' Xblade. I dont see any reason why it would matter??

3. BigDave12768

the bolt holes lined up? Thats my biggest concern

4. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

go to fisher dealer and but the x blade edge. holes are diferent for the yellow plows and wont line up and by the way THE X BLADE EDGE IS REVERSIBLE WHEN YOU BUY IT, BUY A EXTRA SET OF BOLTS WHEN IT WEARS DOWN FLIP IT OVER 2 BLADES FOR THE PRICE OF ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. bad93blaster

bad93blaster Member

yes the bolts line up. you dont use the outer 2 holes
    i have a 5/8 8inch edge on mine if i was to do it again i would go with a 6 inch

6. BigDave12768

really it just seems that I will go down to the trip edge so fast with a flipable 6 inch. I would rather just bolt up the 8 inch and not worry about it for a year or 2

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

the extra 2" makes the plow edge trip much faster over objects.

8. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Did you wear down the trip edge a bit yet? You should have run it a while without any edge on it to wear it down.

9. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

This may help. What I do when I'm plowing city roads during a storm, is I chain my plow to the highway chain spot so when I drop my plow, my front suspension never unloads, the plow BARELY hits the pavement, but all the weight is still on my truck. (final cleanup of course drop the plow all the way, but only once). What this does is this.

1. Saves the truck front suspension from constantly loading/unloading

2. Saves the cutting edge because the entire weight of the plow is still on the fron tires, not on the edge.

3. Gives WAY better traction because the front tires are still loaded while pushing snow.

4. Plow trips are way less violent as the weight of the plow is still on the front tires, not the plow edge.

Try it out.

10. BigDave12768

Well I got my new edge today. I went with the 8x6x5/8 This is a regular cutting edge not the flip one. The guy I bought it off of told me he didnt think it would work. Probably go back on Wednsday to show him. I forgot to get extra bolts. I will let you know How she cuts

11. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

How much was the cutting edge? I really need to get another one. I flipped mine at the beginning of the year and have just been eating it up.

12. BigDave12768

$158 out the door price. That was tax and bolts. Permaline in Brockton still got cutting edges. Dont foret you need the 5/8 holes. You can get a flip one for about $130 with bolts.

Permaline is on Court st Brockton MA they are right next to Police station

13. BigDave12768

Yeah there was no way i was going back to a flip. Now I got about 4 inches to burn off before I get a new one, And its the 5/8 inch edge not the 1/2

14. BigDave12768

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  15. toyman

toyman Senior Member

We order hardened 3/4" blades for our plows. I usually get with the guy in the summer when he places the order for the municpalities. They order through Bucyrus in Ohio. I will need a new edge for next year. Haven't had this plow long enough to have replaced it yet, but as soon as I get the order in I should have a price.

I will keep everyone posted ifinterested. How much longer should the 5/8 blade last over the 1/2" model.

16. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

My 8' x blade cutting edge lasted about 2-3 storms then had to flip it. I switched to a 6x5/8" edge and has lasted into my 3rd season.

17. BigDave12768

Well its cuts real nice. My old one which was sort of burned down more on the sides then the middle seemed to be a bit messy. So I am real happy with this new on

[​IMG]

18. toyman

toyman Senior Member

Wow is that clean.

Mine leaves a little more than that, prolly like the one you just took off. Not flat.

It just doesn't seem like an 1/8" more in thickness would add that much life. Let us know how your is at the end of the season BigDave.

19. BigDave12768

I figured out why you would not put an 8 inch back on last night. With the blade at full angle it must rub the ground taking corners and small dips. I heard mine scrape a few times. I personally dont think a Chevy could get away an 8 inch one

20. BigDave12768

Not sure 1/8 helps at all. The factory edge was not lvl. So when you cut blade to one side it was up a hair or so from uneven wear. Leaving a white skim of snow on pavement. Then you drive over it with ALL terain tires they pick it up and make lil pellets. Personally I am the biggest slob in the world. But I plow neat and hate lag. So the pelletes are not that big of an issue becuase my lot gets heavily salted. But i am really impressed with plow now with new edge.