1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Xblade broke

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by MrPLow2011, Jan 27, 2011.

1. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

So sometime during plowing I screwed up my Xblade a lil. There is like a some sort of trim piece between the base angle angle and the SS mole board,. One side has come loose and bent up. It looks like its some sort of tab that popped out. I can post pics later. Any idea on how tough this will be to fix

2. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

See the black 1 inch peice above the base angle and just below the Mole board. That has come loose on one side and bent up. I cant find it any where on the parts list.

[​IMG]

3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

It was common on the earlier x blades It will need to be re welded.

4. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

if you are talking about the 1x1 angle iron that the mold board fits into what happens is when you trip the trip edge and it snaps back it hits that angle iron tough to tell from your pics but what size is your cutting edge I have the same plow and I have welded on some gussets to stop this from happening mine broke along with about 4 others I have fixed you need to take the plow apart and remove the mold board straight out that piece and reweld and them build up that area it is a days worth of work to do this job if you do not add the gussets then you will need to run the crappy 1/2 X 6 center punch cutting edge that fisher sells.

Here are a few pics of my plow with all the supports that I add to fix this problem
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

a pic would help for sure but you probably broke it pretty good and you can not buy that piece as it is part of the frame work behind the mold board

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Would locking the trip edge so it can't snap back help?

7. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

not sure what you mean you need to have the trip or you will be breaking alot more stuff the cutting edge is the inportant part I feel to this plow with the center punch if you go to the top punch like I run (I plow public streets the center punch just does not last) with the top punch it give the trip edge more levrage to be able to trip alot easier I say repair it and gusset it and forget about that it ever broke I is a very poor design I can not what to get rid of my X blade and go back to a HD or maybe even a Boss next

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Wow camaro - What don't you like about the Xblade? I think my Xblade is a much nicer blade than the HD's I've owned/used. I'm interested in what your dislikes are.

9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Camera;
    Old 577 is now on the Boss Plow payroll; and their biggest supporter on this site . He is just poking fun; at the trip edge design; as he has now been converted to the "full trip" crowd .[Also know as the guaranteed to puke it over; when you really dont want it to; Or guaranteed to NOT trip; when you really need it to] ..................Again just pokin fun...............

Your mod looks like it will cure the problem fine; and I am sure the guy with the problem will take your advice and just add it?

10. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

It doesnt matter how many boss guys pop into fuel the fire. All plows break. My old Fisher Hd's broke. You can only pray it wont be 10 hours on hard labor and a 500 part

11. plowguy43

I actually think my plow is doing the same thing on the driver side, I haven't thought much of it since I figured it'd be a quick weld job for the spring.

12. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

when i bought my xblade thats piece was already bent on the drivers side and it pops out. I couldn't find that piece either on the parts poster. i am probably going to take it aprt in the spring and i love my the x blade it's the best plow ive ever owned way btter then a steel imo.

13. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Well I dragged it over to a Fisher dealer. He doesnt do any welding. But he informed me that piece holds the moleboard in place. So i dont want to wait for spring to fix it. And that part isnt something you can buy. He thinks it may be part of the base angle and that would like 500. So I dropped it off at welding place. So plow and Wolf I wouldnt wait till spring. If that part pops off. Your mole board would be loose and I bet would bend up real easy plus then may have to buy a price fisher part. I am thinking about a 150 repair. But will update on monday

14. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

a plow dealer that dont weld :laughing::eek::laughing:

wow . thats funny . how does he make money :dizzy:

15. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

it's not that bad on mine i just noticed that it pop out a liitle bit one day not that much though. yea would like to see how it comes out.

16. plowguy43

Yeah same here, just a small part has come loose. If I need to I'll swing by a body shop and have them weld it up.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

He must just replace everything that bends or breaks

18. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

you need to fix it before it gets worse it will be a PITA to fix if the whole piece gets damaged I would make sure they put in some 1/4 plate along the angle iron and the piece of metal above it I install 5 pieces and all the plows I have done so far have been good a body shop may not have a big enough welder to repair the plow

19. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

if you dont mind me asking what dealer are you using

20. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

The dealer I went to to have look at this Is Quirk in the Shipyard. He Does new truck installs. Some repairs. But he really only bolts stuff up to new trucks and warranty work.