1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

X Springs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J.R. LAWN & LANDSCAPE, Jan 16, 2003.

1. J.R. LAWN & LANDSCAPE

J.R. LAWN & LANDSCAPE Junior Member

I have an 2000 F250 and i just recently bought a set of X springs for the front. I was wondering if anyone else has done this install and if i will need anything else? Any help is appreciated.

thanks jim

2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

You should probably get new u-bolts... Other than that some time and muscle. Took me about 3 hours with a friend with my sockets in a bucket..

You will need a floor jack, big jack stands and thats all I can think of.

3. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

Yep chtucker about said it all.
    The only thing that I thought was very important was to retorque all the bolts to factory specs. If you need them just ask. pretty easy to do, I did mine three times(That was fun)
    I see your in michigan what part?

4. J.R. LAWN & LANDSCAPE

J.R. LAWN & LANDSCAPE Junior Member

Im from the Lapeer area. And yes if you have the factory specs i would aapreciate it.

thanks jim

5. EIB

EIB Senior Member

What are X springs? Is it an extra leaf spring?

6. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

"X" is the order code for the heaviest front springs on the Ford Super Duty. Comes with "Max GVWR package", and plow prep package. They are also popular swaps for people wanting to lift the front of their trucks a little. I have "X" springs on mine, the shackles still bottomed with the plow on. I put in lift shackles, an add-a-leaf is next. When switching to "X" springs, the steering wheel will be a little off, there's an adjustment in the tie rod coming off the pitman arm to straighten the wheel. The steering will be off because the track bar pulls the axle over as the springs get taller.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I notice a lot of guys putting X springs on,is this because the trucks do not have the snow plow prep?With an F350,or F250HD you shouldnt have to change the springs in order for it not to sag,IMO. IS ford reimbursing any of you for this should be unneccesary expense.I do not own an SD,but I see a lot around,not many sag with plows.Mr Roberto,with an 8 ft plow you wouldnt think your truck would bottom with the heaviest springs Ford offers. What is your truck configuration,cab/bed/engine?

8. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Plow prep should get you the x-codes with the diesel. I believe the V-10 gets v code which is 5200lb springs. On the excursion you can't get the plow prep (soccer moms!) So I added them for a cost of $200 or so. The stock springs on the Excursion are 4700lbs. Gained about 2-3" lift. I put an add a leaf in the rear to raise and stiffen it up. I think the truck rides better and is more stable. Nothing noticable to a non-fanatic, using all Ford parts.

With x-code and an 8.5' Meyer my truck sags about 1" I still have considerable room to the stock bumpstops which are a timbren like stop.

Howard

9. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

John,

SD's have 4 different front spring codes and which one you get is dependent on the configuration and pkg. options.

Their ratings are:

"U" - 4800lbs
    "V" - 5200lbs
    "W" - 5600lbs
    "X" - 6000lbs

With a Snow Plow prep pkg. you get X's. But when you talk Diesel, it's only avail on 250 and 350 Reg. Cabs and some 450 and 550's configs (which get X's standard anyway).

My 250 Supercab came with "U" springs(Plow Prep not avail.). I had X's installed under warranty when the truck was 2 mos. old due to a front spring sag. This was before the plow was installed. My dealer agreed to replace my springs and I talked them into putting X's on instead of the original U's so it wouldn't happen again. Most people are not that lucky. If you don't have X's and put a plow on, IT WILL SQUAT!;)

With just the X's up front, my V (880lbs) would only squat the truck 3/4" with no ballast. I have since added Add-a-Leafs(for lift more than wieght) and I get less than 1/2" now.

Greg

10. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

John, I've got the diesel, regular cab. The springs didn't so much bottom, but the shackes swung back enough to touch the frame, I could see the marks when I switched shackes. It might have been from me hitting a monster pothole or something. I'm easy on the truck, but stuff happens. Plus, it was the driver's side I noticed, it is 1/2" lower than the passenger side.

11. hoagie

hoagie Member

Roboto... funny you say that. My '02 350 (w/ x's) sags about 1/2" lower on the drivers side also. :confused:

Any idea why? I asked my dealer and got the standard "that's normal" reply.

12. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks guys. When I put the Boss plow on my Ram,it dropped about 1 1/4" in the front,it didnt have the plow prep,although it was available on mine.I put the plow prep springs in the front,and it drops about 3/4" to 1" now with the 980 lb plow on it.With the non plow prep springs it would lightly bottom on dips,not any more.

13. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

Ford has a shim that goes under the spring pack to straighten that out. It's common, but not "normal". Consider how much all that fuel weighs on the left side of the truck. Plus the driver, and other assorted do-dads. The only thing on the right side only is the exhaust and heater/air system. So it's a little heavier on the left. Since the springs are identical, it leans a little. I plan on putting the shim in myself when I do an add-a-leaf. I'm almost out of warranty, and the truck has already been modded with the shackles.

14. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

General Specifications

Item Specification

High Temperature 4x4 Front ESA-M1C198-A
    Axle and Wheel Bearing Grease
    E8TZ-19590-A

Torque Specifications

Description Nm Lb-Ft

Front spring-to-axle U 133Nm - 99lb-ft
    -bolts