1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

X Question Please Help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Bruinzfan, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Bruinzfan

Bruinzfan Junior Member

HI all. Newbie here, so please forgive. I have done the search thing and found alot of debates on an Excursion 7.3 with a blade on it, with regard to the front spring issue. I would like to know if it is possible to run a decent quality plow without doing the springs right away.

I would like to throw one on for this year and worry about the springs next year. Maybe even pick up a used one. But don't want to be riding on the bump stops every time I raise the plow.

I have owned Curtis 3000 Plows as well as Western Pro's in the past. Run on Bronco's with Air Bags and an on board compressor, so I am not totally naive to the whole front end issue.

Thanks in advance.

Keith

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Depends on what that front end is rated at. I bet with the 7.3 is right at the line of weight. The springs are not the only parts stressed. Then you have the lenght and sight lines of the truck. Just how squirrelly will the front end be with the weight on when driving? You need rear ballast too, which off set's front weight. Don't forget about the weight range of the tire's too. Auto hubs will scrape them self's quickly when used plowing.

3. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Do you have the x code springs? i believe those are the strongest factory leafs.

4. Bruinzfan

Bruinzfan Junior Member

I just checked. I knew they were the stock ones...of course I didn't write it down and the wife called before I could make it to the computer. I think the code was DG. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. Like I think I mentioned I am thinking of throwing a blade on and doing the springs later. I am not against ballast If needed either. The hubs that are on it are the Auto/Manual Ford hubs. If I am not mistaken they are the same ones on the 250 and 350's. The Broncos I plowed with over the years I had always changed out the Autos for Manuals, as soon as I got the truck, first thing. I hated those autos. Plow into a bank, throw it into reverse and they would unlock and then LOCK with vengance when the rear wheels were spinning because the plow was up. That only had to happen one time!! Any X owners out there want to throw out a plow brand, I would love that as well. Thanks again guys.

Keith

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I don't mean to throw cold water on your project. But, people most times don't tkink of the other factors of having a plow on a truck. A LOT, are rookies with no clue how a plow will beat the truck up. Just remember the increased wear and tear will add cost to plowing with that truck. It's not designed to have a plow on the front. It's ment to be a Family truckster.

6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Why would anyone want to plow with an Excursion??? Maybe for the same reason some like to plow with a Tahoe or Suburban or SD crew cab:nod: Quiet honestly, I don't see a problem with putting a blade on any 4wd vehicle with a truck frame (o.k. a Kia sportage doesn't count) but just don't go overboard. Keep it simple, get a plow that fits your needs and put it on. Yes, you may be over weight (the truck that is) but I can't tell you how many times you hear/see that conversation on this site. As far as springs go, I don't suspect you will ride on your bump stops with a 3/4 ton unless you have a couple leafs missing or broken (pretty common on fords), or you have a massive plow. Keep in mind that bigger isn't always better when it comes to plows. A 7'6" with wings can pretty much do the same thing as a 9'2" V and I would bet you can knock off a couple hundred pounds going that route.

7. Bruinzfan

Bruinzfan Junior Member

Well 2 years later I finally pulled the Trigger. I went with the Boss 9'2" V. I have a dealer very close to me and from what I have seen they are very very competitive on pricing. I got out the door installed with the Stainless model $6200.

Prior to which however, I upgraded all the springs to V's up front 5200#, and Modded C's in the rear. I had to go back and add 2" shackles to the front after because the C's made it too high in the rear. I love love love the height and the new ride. If I did it again I would go with the X's but the spring company was hesitant to do that for me. It holds the plow great!!!

Now for the white Stuff!!

Keith