1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

X Blade

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by CityGuy, Jan 3, 2009.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Does anyone run the X blade? IS it any better than the regular steel? Pro's Con's?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Scrapes awesome...no moldboard rust issue...looks cool =]

little bit more expensive...thinner moldboard but still very strong

3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

No Rust? Ok maybe moleboard wont rust. But at top of cross members they rust a bit. Then bleed down back. I just bought mine slightly used and once it warms up and I have a lil time I am going to slap a bit of rustoleum on it. They chew through cutting edges faster. But you can flip them over. The creek a bit and rattle for a bit after you catch a sewer cap. Well at least mine does. But in long run yeah it will out last the yellow one and cuts better

4. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Best scraping plow I have had. I run the curb shoes that keep the edges from wearing down to fast.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The moldboard is thinner because it does not provide any structural integrity to the plow as opposed to the "original" styleFishers where the moldboard is welded to the frame and serves as diagonal bracing.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Yea i just meant the moldboard...i figured it was kinda implied

7. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

i love mine, scrapes like a son of a...

ive caught some nice manhole covers with mine, just jumps over em and keeps going. I went from a regular Fisher to the X-Blade, and its performance has proved to me that it was the right decision. love it

- Nick

8. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Does the snow seem to stick to the blade any less thatn a regular blade? Does it throw/windrow any better than previous Fisher or any other blades?

9. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i heard that they are great for backdragging because they are set at a different angle than the other fishers, you don't need to add a backdrag blade

10. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

I havent had any snow stick to my blade, i suppose a little more stuck to the blade when i had my yellow one, but that can be fixed with some Fluid Film

It does throw/windrow better than the regular fisher that i had, the extra curl of the X-blade seems to help with this.

If i had to choose between an 8' HD and an 8' X-Blade, id go with the X-Blade in a heartbeat
    - Nick

11. BigDave12768

A can of Silicon spray fixes that problem. Just spray it down lightly before storm it wont stick

I got mine 12-15-08. I love it. Plus unless Fisher comes out with some new great Straight blade the XBlade will last you a couple trucks becuase of the rust will be minimal

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  12. bad93blaster

bad93blaster Member

i run a regular 5/8 8inch cutting edge on my fathers truck for the past 2 yrs. the next edge that goes on will only be a 6" edge which I'm years away from doing.
    the 8" seems to trip alot easier

13. BigDave12768

Do you just driveway plow? Or do you roll around a bussiness or streets for hours while it plow?

14. bad93blaster

bad93blaster Member

the x blade did streets last yaer and does driveways this year
    the stock flip edge doesnt last along time doing streets

15. scot43

scot43 Junior Member

the trick with the cutting edge is to find a set of the original X-blade curbe shoes. The originals were steel and welded , the new version are cast. get to know your local municipal highway department and ask NICELY for a length of the highway plow carbide cutting edge when they replace it on a plow. wear the plate off on the curbe shoes and then plasms cut a replacement place from the carbide. Weld it in at the right height and you will not wear out the cutting edge. I plow streets, both concrete and blacktop and am on the second year with the same edge.

The X-blade has a totally different angle of attack and does not need a sno-foil either, minimal blow back over the blade.

16. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I just got an X-Blade on a truck that I just bought, I'm thinking the cutting edge needs replacing... How far below the trip edge does a new factory edge hang? Seems like the edge is flush with the trip edge, and seems like if I flipped it, it would be flush too. This plow is like BRAND NEW with the Intesifier lights etc... so I'm doubting it was used a ton. Any suggestions?

17. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

my edge was 4-5 inches below the wear bar when it was new
    not sure on the xblade edge but i would assume it is the same

18. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

The X-Blade edges bolt on differently. The holes are in the middle of the edge as opposed to on the top like on the HD plows... This makes it reversible.

19. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

You will love it. Backdrags great and scrapes real nice, I got two I love em!

20. scot43

scot43 Junior Member

if i remember correctly there was only about 1" extension on the cutting edge when brand new