1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

X-Blade Qustion/Problem...

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by MnDLawn, Feb 11, 2008.

1. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

I spent $4900 on a SS X-Blade for our truck and the dealer said it does not come with a cutting edge, why wouldn't fisher put a cutting edge on their "municipal" plow line.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  2. Snow1

Snow1 Junior Member
    from 11021

Specifies right on Fishers website that the cutting edge on the X blades are an option.

3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Well we KNOW it's optional, but I think the frustration comes with it not being standard. I love Fisher products, but to me not including the cutting edge is nickel & diming the consumer.
  4. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

The Base angle is the first cutting edge, after you wear it down some then you put a cutting edge on it. Just like you wear down the original edge on another brand of plow and the replace it. same thing just the fisher first cutting edge is the base angle. So should Boss, Western or whatever plow manufacture include two edges?

FISHERBOY Senior Member

U must hav went to F&S supply
  6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I realize what we're all supposed to do with the original edge, but I think a supplemental edge would be a better sell when you consider it's the ONLY part of the plow that ever touches ground. I would think that a manufacturer would guard against anything that by normal use will wear to the point of failing (which the edge of Fishers will do without the additional edge).
  7. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

how come when i spend 3950 for a brand new 9' hd i dont get one either...........oh cause its an accessory, just like when you spend 30k on a brand new truck you dont always get leather
  8. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

I wasn't asking for leather on my plow. I just want to know why the manufacturer want us to use the trip edge as a cutting edge, they are alot more expensive and harder to replace than an cutting edge. It seems they are nickel and dimeing the consumer.
  9. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Be careful, the trip edge will wear out very quickly!!! When you install the new cutting edge, buy the curb shoe-wear guards. It keeps the edges from wearing out to quick and you can ride the curb without any pin damage.
  10. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

EXACTLY !!!
  11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Even Better

How about when you spend $5000 on a SS Plow and the top 8 nuts and bolts that hold the Sheet of Stainless onto the plow frame ARE NOT stainless.......They rust out real fast, and it makes the back of the plow look like $h|t. You have to keep up on removing that rust before it ruins the back of the plow. I clean and polish the plows every year....sometimes twice a year. Obviously I changed out the bolds to Stainless ones.....
  12. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

That would be a good e-mail you should send to fisher. If Fisher is smart, they should be like Horst welding & take feedback from customers on how to improve their products!
  13. creativedesigns

I don't think any Fisher plows come standard with cutting edge. I bought a new XLS this year & had to buy the cutting edge after. The dealer told me it was a bad idea to put a cutting edge on, & to let the trip edge wear down first! :rolleyes: Go figure eh :rolleyes:
    Of course they're gonna tell you that cause they want the business of replacing that part sooner than later. I basically told him to go fly a kyte!
  14. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I don't see anything wrong with how fisher/western does it. Wear down the trip edge, they put on a cutting edge. Wear down the trip edge lets the new cutting edge get more use, I don't believe the theory that throwing a edge on the front slows down the wear of a trip edge/cutting edge. I rather wear it down some, then have the cutting edge longer then the trip edge so that it wears down. And replace that cutting edge when it meets the trip edge again. That way you never replace the trip edge.

Our cutting edges come from the same supplier that we get our excavator bucket teeth. They last longer, cheaper. Plus we get oversized ones height that is. So they have more metal to work down. Last so much longer. Down side to that, we have to constantly check the bolts as the higher edge tends to stress the bolts more.

And since when would a company that can make a quick buck selling you a edge as an option, (that yes you don't need at the time of purchase of the plow) not take that route, and score some extra profit.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  15. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Don't put oversized edges on a trip edge plow. You change all the geometry and I have seen the damge first hand that it does to the base angle mounting areas and to the upper spring mounts.
  16. creativedesigns

Correct! Thats why they call themselves Fisher Engineering! The trip edges are built with 8 bolt holes for a reason! & thats where the cutting edge fits onto.:nod:
  17. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Very well could be.
    But We've done it for over 30 years, and never had such problems. Alot depends on how you run the blade too. When I said oversized, I'm not talking an extra 10 inches here, your talking about a couple extra inches
  18. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

That what I see. People put 8 inch edges on and ruin the plow. I have been fixing them for 15 years.

A while back when I worked at a Fisher shop they were voiding warranties when people put anything other then a 6 inch edge on.