1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

X-Blade problem...

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ChevKid03, Jan 28, 2009.

1. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

It started today... during this WHOPPING storm... (yeah right).. .Anyway. I would be trying to raise the plow and it would turn left.. It would not raise when I would try, it would just turn left.... At the same time, it wouldn't lower... The only thing that would get it working again would be to angle it all the way left or all the way right.... I also noticed this.... When this occurs, if I get out of the truck with the plow in the air, I can push it left and right with no resistance... Like the cylinders aren't locked... I'm no expert, but it seems to me that a valve is sticking... I would appreciate any suggestions or if I should just bring it in..... Thanks fellas...

2. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Oh yeah..... I forgot.. I thought it was the joystick controller malfunctioning so I went out and bought a brand new fishstik. The same thing happens with the fishstik. Hope that helps.

3. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

ok we don't have an x blade but last year our straight blade mm2 would angle from side to side by hand just like yours does then all of a sudden she wouldn't go up. we took the blade off and dad brought it to the dealer. i don't know what part they changed but there was a tiny little plastic piece inside the pump that broke. to me it kinda sounds like yours may be something similar. wish i could say it for sure though but it's something to possibly call them up and ask about. good luck :)

4. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I very much appreciate your suggestion. I would find it easier to believe this if it didn't work at all. Mine works fine intermitently. I ended up dropping it off at the fisher dealer today. Just to be sure it wasn't my truck side, I hooked up their MM2 and it operated fine for the few minutes it was on there. We'll see what happens. At $80 an hour, I hope it isn't too much. I did clean all connections, check grounds, check fluid etc...

5. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

no problem, i sure hope it's a real quick fix for you. the dealer we use gets $85 an hour so taking something there is always a last resort. make sure you post what it ended up being that way you'll probably help someone else out down the line. :)

6. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

i had the same problem earlier this year. the pinheads that put the plow on the truck ran the wires to the controler out between the dash and steering column. it had chaffed throgh the green wire and the black w/orange stripe. little electrical tape and re route the wires and no more problems.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I think your going to discover that your more towards an "expert" than you realize....because it's likely a sticky S2 valve that caused your issue. :salute:

8. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I'm not sure what it is... I brought the plow to local fisher dealer... I told them I couldn't leave my truck since it's the daily driver. I unhooked the plow and hooked up to theirs. Moved it around for a few minutes with no issues. They said "ok" we will look at it and call you. They called and said they ran mine for 20 minutes with not one issue... Now, if it were a sticky valve, I would think it would happen with their truck too... I'm confused.. .I'm bringing them the truck Monday morning early to see what's up... Hope it can get fixed by Tues night... We may be getting an event...

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A sticky valve doesn't care what time it is or what truck it's on....they'll just stick randomly.

10. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

You hit the nail on the head B&B.... brought them the truck today to hook up to the plow. I had it giving them a problem within 2 mins... They found a piece of aluminum floating around in the S2 cartridge.... Took that out and works like a charm... Next time, I'll look into it more myself... I could have done that myself for no where near $160...

11. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

glad to hear you got it fixed!

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear it's working CK. And give yourself credit as well since it was your first hunch.

Sometime you know more than you realize. Sometimes thats a god thing...and sometimes not. :D