1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

X-Blade or V?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by spunkmeyer, Jun 3, 2010.

1. spunkmeyer

spunkmeyer Junior Member
    from NE US

I've got an 03 F250 and I plow residential and small apartment buildings in SE NH. I was doing this with a Silverado with a 7'6" RD, but I'm getting a new plow for my new truck. I know many people swear by V plows, but is it worth the added expense both purchase and maintenance (cutting edges etc.)? I keep thinking that an 8' X-Blade will be the most economical and reliable over time.

Also, is a stainless blade worth the extra money if I can afford it?

I'm coming back from a year in Afganistan, so I have plenty of money saved up, I just don't want to squander it.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No Thank you for your serviceussmileyflag those you protect salute you :salute:
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

First of all, thanks for your service. ussmileyflagIt is truly appreciated, and we're glad you made it back safely.:salute:

A vee plow is great tool. You can do more, faster.

I know that Fisher is the most popular brand in your area, but there are other, better units available. Boss and Snoway are both much better plows. After buying a brand new XV three years ago, and doing the research afterward, I will never buy another Fisher. At least nothing from the current lineup.

I realize I am just one user, and my results may have been "not typical", but they are my results. Each brand has certain features that make them "better". But you are doing the right thing and doing your research now. The search feature is your friend, there are days and days of reading to be done here. And don't be afraid to ask questions. We all miss the snow and are happy to help you.

Here are just a couple threads you might want to read.

There are dozens more.....
  4. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I would go with the Boss the time you save on plowing can make up for the price. I cut almost a hr off of one factory that I do, that hr let me pick up more jobs and it is less wear and tear on the truck and plow. and that saves you money.
  5. spunkmeyer

spunkmeyer Junior Member
    from NE US

Okay, I've been doing some more research and the newer fisher v-plow's problems make me nervous, so I'm looking seriously at a boss or a snow-way. Though the full blade trip makes me hesitate a bit. The snow way seems a little nicer for about the same money, and the down-pressure concept is intriguing. Both have dealer's listed close to home, though I'll have to check them out when I get home to see exactly how much support they'll be able to offer.

Thanks for the replies, and the support ussmileyflag
  6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

My brother has been running a stainless 8 foot X blade for at least 8 seasons now. He has replaced 2 lines on it, it backdrags great and has been a great plow. If you want a straight blade its a good plow. I dont know anything about the Vee's
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There are Snowdogg and Hiniker both with good reputations and trip edges. One (snowdogg) is chain lift, the other direct lift, neither offer the down pressure option of the Snoway.
  8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with basher.

The snowdogg is a great looking plow and support seems to be great. If I were going to be buying new right now, they'd have my money.

I know this site has plenty of issues with the Extreme V from Fisher- mostly from 2COR ;) , but I have many friends that use these plows and have never had an issue. Same can be said both ways for all plows. Fact is, in NH/ME/MA Fishers are everywhere as are their parts. Just something to consider.

Boss makes a great plow and I've started to see more Red here in Maine, I've used their straight blade and its a fast/quiet unit.

Best of luck and glad to have you home safely.
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

After having plowed for 20 plus years I got my first direct lift plow 2 winters ago. Last year I put a used 810 Blizzard on my 2009 GMC.

The main difference I found between chain lift and direct lift is the plow bouncing while driving from site to site. I think direct lift is much better/easier on the truck.

I would purchase a Boss Vee plow for sure.