1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

X-Blade hop

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ZRT1000, Mar 19, 2007.

1. ZRT1000

ZRT1000 Member

Is anybody else having a problem with the X-Blade hopping.. For 2 storms of the 3 plow able storms we had, My 8.5' X is jumping up and down when plowing. On the first storm the snow was very heavy with ice on bottom and the last storm the ground was not frozen so the trip edge keeps tripping and it makes the blade do a stuttering jump. This is my first Fisher and I am not sure this is normal.
    Also before this storm I noticed that the lift ram had a slight leak and during the storm I found on one of the angle rams the packing nut came loose and was spraying out fluid. I need to call the dealer and try to get this warrantied. Is fisher good with there warranty's
  2. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

i don't know if it would matter but, on the end of your A frame where it pins to the light tower/push frames there are three holes. on level ground check to see if your A-frame is level with the ground with the plow down. If its not, see what hole your A frame is pinned buy. hopefully you can pin it up or down to make the A frame level with the ground.

Like i said this might not be the problem, but its a place to start, i've seen a lot of plows that weren't adjusted right.
  3. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

i had this problem also, it is because the snow was so hard to the ground, it made enough force to trip the edge, i found if you did a pass straight on first, then angled it and got the edge under it, it worked fine, but i definitally got some hopping on that storm lol
  4. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

I find that the X blade is so extreme when there is a hard icy pack that it will chatter as it is scraping but it actually gets down to the black top instead of ridding up over. Straight blading the first pass will help to get under the crust and make the rest of the job a lot easier to finish.
  5. ZRT1000

ZRT1000 Member

I checked and the a frame is level.. I guess it is normal.. Just has to do with with the to hard or to soft surface under the snow .. Thanks
  6. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

if this is happening on "normal snow" then there is a problem.

normal snow would be anything that you cant walk on top of with out sinking...

past 2 storms snow got so hard i could walk ontop of it with out falling thru, that is what was causing the blade to trip because its just like hitting a lip on concrete...the edge doesnt know the difference lol
  7. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I'd say it's normal. Mine does the same thing when there is either hard-packed snow or ice under the snow. Like others have said, do a "straight" pass first, then an "angled" pass.

8. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

It is normal, especially on newer plows and any hardpack. Once you edge wear in a bit it will ease up a bit.
  9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

It's normal. With real had pack, it catches and kicks back. Try angling left then right to get under it.
  10. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

tighten up ur trip springs a bit