1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

X blade and dirt driveway

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by garye5007, Nov 17, 2006.

1. garye5007

garye5007 Junior Member

Hello!
    I'm, looking at a used X blade and i have a dirt driveway... the plow i used to use had skids (western)
    and i see there are no provisions for any on X blade. am i going to have digging in problems
    and big piles of dirt to clean up in the spring? i hear others like this plow but they are all plowing paved driveways and parking lots. thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I have never had any problems with mine. The driveways and parking areas at my shop are gravel and I don't have that much of a problem.

3. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

You'll be alright, as long as you pick up a set of shoes for it (ya know, the round ones with shims?) This way, the sick cutting edge won't dig your driveway up, but the blade will ride over the dirt and plow the snow away.

4. garye5007

garye5007 Junior Member

thanks

thanks, that puts my mind at ease... i guess i'll get it.....

5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

As he said previously there is no way to mount those type of shoes. The X blades don't have those holes on them.

6. garye5007

garye5007 Junior Member

if i do have "digging in" problems (my driveways pretty soft, hopefully freezing weather will help) is there anything i can do? maybe i could fashon some type of shoe and attach it to back of plow?

7. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

yea

you can take the blade off of float mode and raise it a bit so its not sitting right on the dirt. based on my experience, just lift the blade about one inhce and you will do just fine.

8. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I didn't know that you couldn't use shoes with the X Blade. In that case, just do as mike33087 said and raise the blade slightly off the ground. This is what I do on gravel driveways.