1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WTS 1991 F150 4x4 new motor..NJ

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by My76f250, Aug 10, 2010.

1. My76f250

My76f250 Senior Member

2. flagstaffnewbie

flagstaffnewbie Junior Member

Truck setup question

Just wonderding... I have a 1996 150 with the 5 and am having to replace the factory (?) coil spring on one side due to it fracturing. Are the F350 coils a straight drop in from any truck between 84 and '96? I have an air lift on the front to help with the leveling and want to be able to still use them.

3. flagstaffnewbie

Found the answer I was looking for over on the ford-trucks forums which is yes, but only from 89 to 97, and yes to my air shocks dropping straight in. Now the question is do the 350 2x4 coils stiffen the front up too much since the load rating on those are over 1500lbs.?

4. My76f250

My76f250 Senior Member

Ok the trick is DO NOT GET THE XTREME DUTY SPRINGS. I made that mistake on my 92 bronco...****** my front end up big time...i have the regular diesel 2x4 350 springs in this 150 and it rides beautiful..

5. My76f250

My76f250 Senior Member

.....bump....Still have it.....come on do i hear $1400 somewhere????

6. My76f250

My76f250 Senior Member

Bump......still sittin here

7. flagstaffnewbie

Hard to move a plow truck right now... just wait two months and you won't be able to find a decent one. On another note, did you replace the Mazda 5 speed with the ZF yourself and does it really make that much of a difference... and are the ball joints still factory spec. or a zert/off road(HD) style? Sorry for all the Q's, but it is hard to find someone here (in flagstaff, AZ) with such a similar setup and knows what works with this particular generation Ford truck when pushing snow.

8. My76f250

My76f250 Senior Member

My truck apparently came factory with the zf trans..my ball joints are stock..no problems there at all and actually i transported an 8' pro plow with the truck and the front end held it like a champ.

9. flagstaffnewbie

It is starting to sound like your truck was a HD 150 setup from the factory with a different badge on it. What dana axle on the front, the 44 or the 50 and 15" rims or 16"?

10. My76f250

My76f250 Senior Member

Im pretty sure its the 44 and i know its only got 15" rims on it...the original plan was to swap a solid axle dana 44 under it from a 78 bronco but i never got that far

11. flagstaffnewbie

Thanks for all the information, it sounds like I do not have too much plow on the front of my truck. I was getting concerned that maybe I did since most posters here seem to frown on using a 150 for plowing at all. I know that the TTB dana 44 is rated for a much higher load than what Ford stamps on them, but I am not sure what it really is. I was starting to think that I had too heavy of a plow (a Meyer contractors steel 7'6" setup with full assembly weight between 700-800 lbs) on the front of it since the factory coil on one side broke, but it sounds like all I need to do is upgrade to the 844 coils to carry the extra weight along with the air shocks and it will all hold up better than before.

12. dgc

dgc Junior Member

the truck is 4wd correct

13. flagstaffnewbie

My truck is 4wd and so is the one for sell at the link @ the top of the thread.

14. dgc

dgc Junior Member

Will the truck hold a 8.5 fisher v

15. dsturch1

dsturch1 Junior Member

Is this still available? If so shoot me a PM - I am definitely interested.

16. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

No it wont. But it will hold a 9.5 fisher V

17. My76f250

My76f250 Senior Member

I just sold the truck as of last night. I wouldnt advise a v plow bigger than 7 1/2' for a beefed up f-150 or bronco. Meyer, boss, western, and fisher all make the small v's..Thats just my input though

18. flagstaffnewbie

I am sure that he was being sarcastic with that last statement... hence the contradiction.

Glad to hear you were able to move the truck and good luck with the upgrade.