1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WTF!! smarthitch is 1000x better than a MM!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cjasonbr, Sep 5, 2006.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

So i've always owned a Boss... i didn't realize how much BETTER the smart hitch system was than the minute mount!!! The smarthitch is all hydraulics... you just drive up and push a button pretty much. Stupid MMll is 'Push frame while pull lever' ********...... I can't wait until it's time to put it back on again :rolleyes: !!!!!! Stupid fisher's..... wouldn't of even bothered with one if the truck didn't come with a mount already!!!! :realmad:

2. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

How lazy can you get! ( Just busting you)

If that's all there is to make the blade the best and all others stupid. I'll sell you one that sticks on with Velcro.

Good luck with all your extra stuff to service and possibly break!

Relax, with a few practices you'll have it on and off in less than a minute. They plow very well.. You'll be OK trust me. 1000's of us do it and we have it down to a science.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Smarthitch uses the lift cylinder so there really isnt anything extra to break.

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Different preferences. I would rather have to get out of my truck and spend a minute or two with a Fisher than have more parts to break.

5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

what do you do when the "smarthitch"control isnt working for some reason and the plow wont mount?

6. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

When's the last time you've lost hydroulics for no reason? They just don't stop working for no reason.... especially if the plow is sitting on the ground not moving. Hydroulics are one of the most reliable things ever invented. That said, if the hydroulics break - probably due to the user hitting something - do what you'd do in anyother case and bring it to the dealer to fix. The mounting hydraulics use the same hydraulics that raise the plow - so there's nothing extra (like was already mentioned). The chances of your plow losing hydroulics sitting in your driveway doing nothing is a chance i am more than willing to take.....

I just wish i had purchased another Boss instead of this yellow thing.....

LONG LIVE THE BOSS!!!!

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That Fisher is going to be the least of your worries. It is on a FORD so now you have real problems. LOL It is meant as a joke.:dizzy:

What is the fuel mileage on that 8.1

8. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

HAHAHA You are correct my good sir!!!!! That Ford is one huge.. black... POS!! I drive the GMC.... the Ford is for the help... i got too good of a deal to pass up... so i had to pick it up, and when i got it, it had a fisher mount on it!! Double whammy!!
    Now i'm gonna get flamed from both the fisher guys AND the Ford guys....

I get about 11 mpg in the 8.1.... It's a great engine aside from the squeeky belts every 10k... which GM covers anyways. It has tons of nut though!

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Your help is going to find that Fisher to be a good reliable plow. You only have to put it on once each snowfall and with a little practice they are quite quick. We have a 9'6" V on a 2003, 2500HD with the 6L.

10. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

I had that to happen last year. Like anything else mech. is subject to break down. The fix was simple my plug was dirty cleaned it and applied grease it worked. Now who is at fault boss or me?
    Mike

11. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

If the smarthitch 2 isn't working then it could be the lift pump or it could be the switch. If it is the switch, you can lift the plow to lock it in. That will lock the plow ino the truck mount and you'll be able to plow.

12. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

But why would the switch break? We're talking about a plow sitting on the ground, not moving, not doing anything..... why would it break???? It's a switch that gets used like 25 times a year... and it's a pretty beefy switch... I think you'd have a better chance of the fisher lever freezing or seizing up or something....

13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Fisher lever freezing or seizing up or something? That's why we carry hammers or god made rocks...right? lol

You'll be fine.. Watch everyone...He will be switching to Fisher on that GMC truck next year and be much happier... Ha Ha xysport

14. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

My personal feeling is that all modern plow setup are easy to put on.. fishers, westerns, boss.... hell I even thing the conventional setups were not that bad to put on... with a little practice all types can be put on very quickly. But I will tell you this the first time that switch goes on the boss you will be hating it.

15. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

LOL.... I just couldn't believe it when all the steps said "While pushing lever, pull the thingamajig", "While pushing bracket push the handle" and all that is entailed to mount the Boss is flip 2 switched and hit a button. As for switching from Boss to Fisher... i don't think that will happen, however i bet i will not have any problems with either of them for many, many years..

16. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

By the way.. Frozen, i love the color of your truck... it's definately one of my favorite colors on the GM's.... you don't see it that often (around here anyways) either!

17. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

If your that worried about the switch going bad just keep a spare on hand. Then all you need to do is swap it out.

18. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

oh... i'm not worried.. The switch will probably last longer than the plow :D

19. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Sport Red Metallic... ya do not see to many of them on the road, but it is a bear to keep clean.

20. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Ive seen the switch not work on a plow that wasn't even a year old. We went to hook up the plow the night before a storm was coming in and guess what.. NOTHING after messing around with all the connections for about 45 mins it suddenly started working (not something you want to be doing when its freezing out.) My Fisher MM was already hooked up and spreader loaded. I'm not saying its a bad plow (my father has one and it works great) but like with anything mechanical it can break. Not having a switch on my fisher is one less thing i have to worry about.