1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WTF broke!?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by RAW Details, Dec 19, 2009.

1. RAW Details

RAW Details Senior Member

im a rookie and have no idea what the hell broke. i was raising the plow and heard a "pop" and the plow slammed to the ground. fluid came from the packing nut area and sprayed everywhere.there where metal shavings all over the threads of the packing nut. help the noobie out guys!

[​IMG]

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Im no western tech but it sounds like your packing nut may have been too tight and wore out the seal and then went metal to metal. It does looks look like the packing nut is backed out quite a bit though, on mine there is only about a 1/4" of threads showing.

B&B should be by soon with the definate answer

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

The threads that hold the packing nut to the housing, were they strip?

from the view, it look like the packing nut was not tighten down far enough, and the pressure rip it out of it threads.

4. RAW Details

stripped...... yes and no nothing horrible from what i can tell. i had a shop do the lift ram seal and a plow service for me last snowfall.

5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Thats pretty sad , get back to that shop and demand money back and or repair.tymusic

6. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

x2

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually the packing nut was probably too loose and backed itself out as you used it, until it blew out. After a fresh packing set is installed its a good idea to retighten the nut after some use as the packings setting in.

May have damaged the last thread or so in the housing so it may be tough to get the nut threaded in there again, but the nut and packings are probably ok for now. Remove the lift arm for access and run it back down in there.

8. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

thats what i told him HOURS ago..like 10am..LOL

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  9. Dissociative

whats the torque on that nut?..or the ones on the ram?....like a wheel bearing?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No real torque spec you do them by feel as you're compressing the packings. Too tight and it wears them in in a hurry. Too loose and the nut backs out quickly. That's why you have to check them after a use or two.

11. RAW Details

i want to put i dont know wtf im talking about. so im going in blind folded, ya know.

12. Dissociative

PICK ME UP......me and Mr. .45 will do your talking.