1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wtb whelen lenses

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by Detroitdan, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Looking for a ballpark price on what it would cost to re-lens a Whelen Edge 9000. Might have a line on a pretty nice bar but it's the wrong color. I bought yellow end caps and partial straight lenses a long time ago for a bar I had, can't remember what I paid but it seems like it was a lot at the time. Isn't it priced by the inch or something like that? Just trying to decide if it's worth the investment. thanks, Dan
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

your looking at probably $1K or so to refit with amber.
  3. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I was talking about new ones from like aw direct used are probably good for the money but are probably dull and faded.
  5. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

well just for the actual len's sections themselves ... about $30 for a 17 ' inch stick ..... then the end caps at about $ 45 each .... so ya around $300 brand new ... is what i paid for mine ..
  6. Detroitdan

how come I couldn't find that ebay auction when I looked last night! I was thinking it would be at least a couple hundred bucks, I think when I bought them last time I paid around $140 for two end caps and four short sections, it was an eight head bar but I only made the outer four yellow. And that was several years ago with a dealer discount, so it stands to reason that it would probably go up around $300 now. That's really too much money for some colored plastic. I mean, what's a brand new towman's edge cost now, like $600?
    Thanks for the response.
  7. Detroitdan

hey Nascar Fan,
    if I do decide to get this bar, maybe we can work something out with the lenses, if you can find someone who needs blue. This came off a NH police car and is all blue except for the takedowns and alleys, and the left rear panel is red. I'd probably want to keep the red so I could make a set of high mount stop-turn-tail lights. But I can't use the blue here. Well, actually I can but not exposed out on the roof for the world to see, I'd have to have them concealed.
  8. farmboss088

farmboss088 Junior Member

whelen lenses

The lenses can be bought from www.strobesnmore.com

the end caps are $39.99 and the sections are $2.00 per inch and he will cut each section to what you need.

If you are looing for a complete bar i ahve a 48" whelen edge with amber,red,white lense combination, 4 new tubes,2 steady burn halogens, 2 flashers, 2 alley lights 8 strobes, lenses are in great shape. I would take $350.00 shipped
  9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I was looking in the wrong place when i need to replace mine it would of come out to the 1K at aw direct I think I could not belive that the lenses would cost more than what i paid for the bar at the time .
  10. Detroitdan

super bonus cool lucky happy news!

I ran into the guy I sold my old lightbar to. He changed it to all red because he's Fire/Rescue and he doesn't plow so he stored the yellow end caps and lenses. He is going to dig them out and give them back to me. Now I'll only have to buy a couple small pieces of yellow. When I had it I set it up all red in the summer (used to be Fire/Rescue) and in winter changed the outer 4 strobes to yellow for plowing, and still had red center strobes for calls. Hopefully I will be able to set up the new bar how I want it, I'd like to have rear work lights instead of front takedowns, but I'd also like taillights in the bar. I think the bar only has 3 modules on each side and two are strobes, so I may have to make a decision which I want. But if I can use some clear lenses for work lights and red for taillights, I won't need to buy much yellow at all.

Yay me!