1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WTB Timbrens

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Dirty Jersey, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Dirty Jersey

Dirty Jersey Senior Member

Hello all, Looking to buy some Timbrens for my 98.5 Dodge Diesel QC. Anybody have a set of used ones in nice shape that they would like to sell? If not do we have any vendors on the site that offers some type of discount for members? My GVW is 8800 I have the camper pkg.

Thanks,

John

2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

3. Dirty Jersey

Dirty Jersey Senior Member

Thank You Sir, I shall look into them. Thanks for the link and part numbers.

John

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I'm not sure about site supporters but I got my Timbrens from Truckspring.com.
    There are disadvantages to replacement springs..... consider both options carefully.
    If you put in a heavy spring for handling the extra weight of a plow when you drive without the plow you can have a terrible ride not to mention front end issues from having too much spring. Timbrens or air bags in trucks that allow them, only come into play when there is a load on the front end.

5. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

There are huge disadvantages to a Timbrem like rubber spring as well. My unladen ride quality is a small considerations to trade for the four sets of stock Dodge "heavy duty" and Moog "heavy duty" coil springs I have broken transporting my snow plow.

I'm still on my first set of SuperCoils and they are several years old. My front end still has all of it's factory components save for the springs and the shocks. I attribute this to the support the SuperCoils give the front end of my truck. We all know how bad the front end components on a stock Dodge truck can be.

I did myself a favor and upgraded.

6. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

just buy a leveling kit to go on top of your spring, by far a hell of a lot cheaper. and will never notice the ride differance!!

7. awagner9

awagner9 Member
    from NW Ohio

I might have a set of 4 timberns for sale. About 90% on buying new truck. Its an 08 and these are for old body style. Are on 02 ram 2500. will let you know. I have very very little drop when raising plow work great. Ive only had these since June. Hardy used.Ale

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Tho I know alot of people claim to have tons of trouble with the front ends of these trucks, I have never experienced it- I think it's more the owner and maintenance than manufacturer issues.
    I'm surprised to hear about your springs, but that seems to imply you have too big a plow on the truck.. and at 9.5 in a V blade- Dodge and Boss should agree- Too much weight on the front end with the diesel...surprised more things have not worn fast under that circumstance, but considering Dodge did not allow Diesel's to have plows in the 2500's until 03...I would not base your case on everyone else's. Mind you, I added a truss to my axle shortly after I got it and keep the plow and front end additions as light as possible- still running factory installed springs and shocks (soon to change those tho). The Timbres made a world of difference on the handling of the front end with the blade up.

9. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I would not ask Dodge nor Boss their opinion on the weight of the plow they would agree to, as they would always err on the side of caution in avoidance of possible future liability. I rather went with my knowledge of the Dana 60 front axle and IT'S capability, then upgraded all of the peripheral components that work in tandem with the axle. I started with the springs and shocks. The first 2 sets of springs failed, no doubt as to the weight of my plow, which is loaded with accessories, but the axle remained undamaged.
    Once I found the correct spring, front end components have not required any further attention. I've upgraded tires, too. But so far, that's all I needed to do. All of the squeaks, creaks and rattles I had prior to the SuperCoil install have disappeared and the front end is still in alignment. Maybe Dodge should look at their OEM coil manufacturer. Maybe it's not tie rods and track bars and steering components and power steering pumps and end links. I have the 3rd gen 'T' steering set up and a Thuren track bar and Carli Severe Duty Tie rods all sitting on the work bench ready to go, where they have all sat for the last six years.

Maybe it's too much suspension cycling due to crappy OEM "heavy duty" springs.

I do agree with everything you said, though. It's just that I love to modify and tinker and perform maintainance and I think the SuperCoil is a superior product. I consider Timbrens a band aid. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  10. huskerfan523

huskerfan523 Member

I put the supercoils on my truck, and they do ride rough but that was expected. I havent had a ton of time to play in the snow, because Omaha has only gotten a total of like 4 inches so far, but from what I can tell, they are great. get about 5/8 inch sag with my 7.5 western with wings. Keep in mind, my supercoils lifted the front end 3" which was a little more than I was expecting, and had to put a block in the back to get it to sit level again. I wouldnt go with a leveling kit personally, because this doesnt beef up your front end at all, it just makes it sit higher, so the sag isnt as noticeable. btw, ProSeasons, you wanna sell any of that stuff? cuz I want ALL of it ha!

11. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Yeah! It's just sitting here,huh? I'm too scared to sell it because I might be full of it and something will break! :D