1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WTB Snow Bear mounts for Jeep YJ.

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by QGolden, Nov 1, 2015.

1. QGolden

QGolden Junior Member

Hello
    Title says it all, I'm looking for mounts to move my SnowBear from an S10 to a YJ Wrangler. Have the Push Bar just need the 2 Frame mounts.

Will travel a couple of hundred miles from NH to pickup, or will request Shipping to NH.

Thx.

2. Snowmountian

Snowmountian Junior Member

Hello,

I have SnowBear Wrangler mounts, I'm pretty sure it's for the YJ. I'm asking $130 for them. I can take pictures of them tonight and send them to you if you like. I'm out of upstate NY.

Thanks

3. QGolden

QGolden Junior Member

Hello
    Yes, please post photos if you can.

Thank you

4. Snowmountian

Wrangler Mount Photos

Here are a few pictures of the mounts. I'm selling only the mounts, I do not have the bolts and nuts for it. They're in good shape. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks

Wrangler SnowBear Mounts.jpg

Wrangler SnowBear Mounts 2.jpg

5. QGolden

QGolden Junior Member

Hello
    Thank you for posting the photos. That mount appears to be for a TJ Series Jeep. I need a YJ. The YJ mount utilizes the cross tube in the frame for support via a large boss.

YJmount.png

6. QGolden

QGolden Junior Member

Here is the TJ Mount, which I believe yours to be.

TJ Mount.png

7. Snowmountian

Thanks for the info, sorry it wasn't the right ones. Maybe you can help me, I have a post here that I'm trying to find out how my Jeep Cherokee snowbear mounts bolt to the 1999 Jeep. I have looked and called everywhere looking for the diagram like the one you just sent me for the Wrangler. Can you tell me where you got those diagrams or if you have one for Jeep Cherokee 84-02 KIT# 84105. I attached a photo of the mounts I have. I just can't figure out where they bolt to the Jeep without a picture. This would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

SNOWBEAR MOUNT JEEP CHEROKEE 84-02 KIT#84105 .jpg

8. QGolden

QGolden Junior Member

I may be able to help, I ran a Snow bear on a early 90s Jeep Cherokee several years ago, I may still have the installation instructions. I will check.

9. Snowmountian

That would be great. Thanks a lot, I appreciate you checking for me.

10. QGolden

QGolden Junior Member

Hello
    Here is what I found, and thanks for helping me to justify the reason that I hang onto way too much 5hit.. I purchased this plow in 2000, and the drawing states "Cherokee Mount 1984 to newer" so it should be good for at least an '84 to 2000 Cherokee. Not sure when the next Body Change was for Cherokee, it might be valid for later models as well. I don't write this for your use, but everything here stays forever and someone else might come here looking long after you and I are long gone.

Upon finding this drawing in my files, I had a flashback (well I have frequent flashbacks actually, but that is another story), anyway, I well remember struggling with the mount. On the drawing if you look at the hook shaped bend on bracket 3, right above where bolt number 6 goes through (holding bracket 4 to bracket 3 at the hook area). If I recall, that hook bites into the bottom of the frame lip, and you have to find a way to keep it there while you assemble the rest of the brackets. On the passenger side it is not too bad, but the drivers side is darn near impossible to fit it in, hold it, and assemble it. The problem is the steering box is in the way, and the hook just catches the frame lip by a 1/4 or 3/8 inch. If you have access to a lift and a buddy, it takes 4 hands to do the job. I did it laying on the ground under ramps. Even if I had help, there is not room for 4 hands unless you are standing under a lift.

I had to do a little hammering to customize some body bracing. If your rig is rusty it may be tougher to get it together due to rust scale in the mounting area.

Working from memory, iff'n I were doing a Cherokee today, I would mount bracket 4 to bracket 3 first, and tighten bolt 6 completely, then hang the hook lip on the frame ledge and mount brackets 3 by bolt 9 and just tighten them enough to keep the hook into the frame ledge, but let it wiggle a bit.(see the cross section view in the bottom left of the drawing). While a buddy holds both brackets 3 in place, offer the push-bar (1) and start all the push-bar bolts (5) that go up from the ground into bracket 4 first since those are elongated slots. That will allow your buddy to put some pressure on both brackets 3 to hold them onto the frame lip while you tighten bolts 5. That will hold the hooks onto the frame. Then put in the other bolts (5) that go horizontal from the outside, through brackets 3, the brackets will yield enough to the fit the push bar, since bolt 9 is still loose. Lastly tighten bolt 9, and check all bolts. If I recall, after a season of plowing, I had to run a weld bead around bracket 3 as the hook had moved around enough to get off of the frame lip, if it does it tears or wears the frame, and will never stay tight via bolts again. I'm sure that rust and age and a little body flex had something to do with it. If you have a buddy with a lift and a welder, it might be worth the preemptive strike to add some weld on day one, especially if you will never take the plow frame off again anyway. Short of welding, check bolts 5 EVERY TIME you plow.

That's my .02, your mileage may vary, let me know how you make out. I ordered new mounts today from Zorkos for my YJ.

QGolden

Attached Files:

11. Snowmountian

THANK YOU!!!! You're a life saver. I totally understand about holding on to things way to long, I'm the same way but I'm glad you did it this time. I don't have access to a lift but I do have a welder. Since my Jeep will be strictly for plowing my driveway now, I plan on doing a little welding to make it more secure. I bought the mounts I have from someone that said they also had it mounted on 1999 Cherokee but what was throwing me off was the extra arm on the mount that your diagram doesn't show. Take a look at my photo of the mount. I could not figure out where that arm went. Eliminating that arm should make things easier, not sure what that arm is for. My Jeep does have a lot of rust underneath so that should make it fun. I will be working on it this weekend, I will keep you posted how I make out. Thanks again, I really do appreciate all your help.

12. QGolden

QGolden Junior Member

Oh yah, I see that. Looks like an extra bend at the top. Maybe he was wrong on the year, or they are a later revision? The original design was skeptical the way it barely grabbed the frame, perhaps that bend was added to catch the top of the frame? Line things up, if everything else lines up, and you cannot get that bend over the top of the frame then I would just cut it off. Good luck, I know well how these projects can wind up......