1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WTB Inexpensive Bronco or Blazer with plow

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by SBrav77, Feb 13, 2007.

1. SBrav77

SBrav77 Junior Member

I am in Bourbonnais, Illinois and am looking for a fairly inexpensive Bronco or Blazer with a plow. If anyone is interested in a partial trade, I have a 1986 Ford F-150 with a straight 6 and the granny gear complete with a 7'6" Western cable drawn plow. It runs good. However, I think the carb needs to be rebuilt. Perfect for someone that can do the work themselves. Please let me know if anyone can help me out.
    Thanks

2. SBrav77

SBrav77 Junior Member

3. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

offer 1200 no more than 1500

4. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

I would offer 950.00 I can not even see any value in a 20 yr old truck like that. Also shop around more . .

5. Rickco

Rickco Member

I see a few problems with it,right off. 1 It's a 6 cyl. 2 lots of miles for that little motor,with a plow. 3 The rocker panel is rotted pretty bad,the floors are most likely too.
    IMO you are better off to find a plowless unit and put your own on it. Might cost a little more this way but the truck has lived a much easier life. Just my opinion.

6. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

search around on ebay i live only about an hr from you and found a 03 150 with a 7.5 blizzard on it that was driven by an old man who had some health problems and just wanted to get rid of it for right around 10,000

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Why do some of you insist on still talking like that? Age has nothing to do with how much money it makes. In most cases older trucks are simpler and tougher. I think mine illustrate that pretty well.

Now, back to the truck itself.

Body looks pretty rotten. If you are planning on making it street legal, this will be a problem. You need to think about what you want to use it for. Look also at the floorboards and front mounts where the cab attaches to the frame--common rot-spot.

These trucks are cheap and plentiful, as are parts to fix them.

The 4.3 V6 is basically a 350 minus two cylinders. Very rugged motor, but those early ones had blocks cast in Mexico that were soft and wore funny, often needing to be taken from standard to .040 or .060" overbore on their first rebuild. About as cheap an engine out there to rebuild though.

The 2.8 V6 is pretty wimpy, I don't think I'd want another one.

The 2.8 versions usually have 3.42 gears, the 4.3's come with 3.08's standard. Probably a little steep for an automatic tranny and snowplowing, but there's always low range. Truck still weighs in at almost 4000lbs, at least my extended cab does.

IMO the S truck is the most suitable compact truck for work, my two have FAR outperformed my friend's two Rangers. The Blazer/Jimmy would make an excellent driveway rig.

I agree that finding a less-molested version is probably a better idea, and adding a plow. You can always leave this guy a real low-ball offer in case he doesn't sell it, and use it for parts and the plow for another S Truck.

8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 87 K5, with 7' 6" western straight blade, and a western pro flo spreader. Truck has a little over 90,000 original miles. $3,500