1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WTB cutting edges?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Called my local guy for a price on cutting edges for an 810, was shocked how much they were. Plus he said they were leftovers from last year, and when the new ones come in they will be 20% more. Anybody make them out of flat stock, or know where I can get them cheaper? I was used to paying around $80 for my 8" Fishers, was quoted nearly $500 to do my old 810. :<

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Was that from Pro Image? I was going to get a steel center edge for this season to compare to the U edge.

3. Detroitdan

Yeah, Mike at Pro-Image. Was like $220 for the steel center, about the same for the wing set. I didn't even bother pricing the urethane. Last year he tried to talk me into the U-edge, but it was too much and I wasn't convinced. I haven't called Portsmouth Ford yet, they are normally a lot cheaper than Pro-Image. I actually called Mike to get a price on a Sno-Way spreader, because I was looking at one on Ebay and I wanted to compare it to the new cost. He never did give me the price, but he spent about 15 minutes trying to sell me a bigger Snow-Ex for $2400 and talking me out of using a Sno-Way. So I never did find out if the spreader on Ebay was a good bargain or not. Mike's a nice guy and very knowledgeable, but he sure is opinionated.

I was thinking about asking my local welder if he could make new cutting edges for me. I bet he could just overlay new steel a few inches up and weld it on, but leave room so I'd still be able to remove the original bolts if I needed to. Weld both sides the whole length, put a few bolts through it, why wouldn't it hold?

4. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

you said an 810 right? if you weld it on the front, you wont have clearance for the wings to slide in

5. Detroitdan

Aha. good thinking.

6. Detroitdan

maybe I could do just the wings, and replace only the center.

7. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

install a new edge in the center, and then cut up the old center edge and weld it over the wings.

8. AlaskaSnow82

AlaskaSnow82 Junior Member

Or you could do what I did, and custom make your own....

All I did was take the old edge to our steel company here in Anchorage tell them to sheer me a piece of T1 plate the same size, and then took it to a local machine shop who cut the bolt holes for me.

This new cutting edge is alot stronger then the old mild steel one, and is lasting alot longer. total bill ran me around $320.00. I'll never buy another cutting edge again. I love that T1 plate......

9. Detroitdan

I like that idea. I checked the only other Blizzard dealer around here, Portsmouth Ford, and not surprisingly they are way cheaper than Mike. So I think I'll do the center and fab the outers.

10. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Dan, I have been told there is a 1/2 in and a 5/8 in edge, what one is Portsmouth Ford selling you and how much?

11. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Seems like alot of running around for $320.00. Only thing with the T-1 is in some cases it is too brittle and there have been cases of it losing a section with really sux during a storm.

I have been happy with the preformance I have seen out of the 5/8" centers and I think I am paying about $225.00 and that is dropped shipped to my front door. I do use about 1 set of edges per season.

I have posted my Polar Edge experience and I am going to try the Steel Center Polar Edge wings for a few puhes early this season to see what I get out of that configuration.

If you are pre-fabbing the edges add some steel to the sides for curb guards too.

curb edge.jpg

right side.jpg

12. Detroitdan

I think it was $139 for the regular one and $189 for the heavy duty. I'm not positive since its been a few days and I didnt write it down, but thats ballpark if it isnt accurate. I'd like to know how the regular compares to the heavy duty, just to be sure it's worth it. I'll probably buy the heavy duty anyway.

13. wls

wls Senior Member

I talked to my dealer today, for all 3 pieces, $345.00 plus shipping, and they send the warn one back.

14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

$380.00 here for all three pieces.

15. wls

wls Senior Member

Does the dealer take the old edge back? Mine does.
    I may order a center, and use that steel, to build up my wings.
    Will have to see, the price diff on keeping my center.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Dang, I was getting urethane edges for my 8611's for about $600. I'd tell them they need to stop smoking whatever it is that they are smoking.

Did you try Jerre? It would be worth a call.

Send the worn one back? More likely they're scrapping it and getting the money that way.

17. wls

wls Senior Member

Ya thats what I was thinking, actually I Don't know if its a blizzard thing or the dealer. Parts come from Tn, so shipping a worn blade back to Tn. makes no sense to me.

18. Detroitdan

guy I met was doing field trial work for Blizzard, they gave him the plow and he had to write them with a review on it, plus he had to ship them the cutting edges every so often so they could measure them and see how they were wearing. I tried to get in on that, but never heard back from them. I'd write them every day for a new plow...

19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Im not sure if they do or not, I never asked.

20. Detroitdan

Are the centers that different from a standard 8' plow? Can a regular 8' cutting edge be adapted to work, or do you have to buy a Blizzard edge?