1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WTB Backup lights

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by unhcp, Nov 9, 2011.

1. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

looking to buy some backup lights so I can actually see what is behind me at night in dark locations, nothing crazy just some basic lights with a easy install.

2. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

walmart or meijer. 4" round work lights are like $8 a piece, or a set of cheapo driving lights. i got a set from meijer for 15 bucks. they come with wiring and a switch, i just mounted them between my bumper and hitch, and spliced them into my reverse lights. very cheap, very easy. 55watt bulbs, i replace them with 100watt bulbs. flood the ground behind my truck great

3. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

4. DuraBird02

DuraBird02 Member

I would get seperate lights so you can adjust them if needed. Just my $0.02, works well for me.

5. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

yupp get ones that are grounded to your truck... and just use a outdoor extension cord for the wires....

6. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

yeah separate lights are WAY cheaper too....

7. twintreeslawn

twintreeslawn Junior Member

Having trouble with wiring into backup lights on my 2011 ford. I have done this before to other trucks with no problems. I have the fleet fam round tractor lights. What is happening is the it is cutting out all backup lights when you put it in reverses. Doesn't blow fuse. I unhooked spot lights and then the truck backup lights still work. this is ticking me off... You sound like you have a good handle on these lights..

8. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

Just run a dedicated line to them and run it of if your upfitter switch. Then flip them on when you need them. And off when u don't.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Sounds like you have an Ag light that is not 12v. I just about picked up the wrong one the other day and I'm glad I looked at the package. The TS I got it at had 6, 12, and 24 volt lights.

10. twintreeslawn

thanks for your help. I usually run a dedicated line to them, I hear so many connecting them to the back-ups.
    Thanks again

11. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

I spliced my back up lights in, i havent had a problem. I usually run a dedicated line but I get too distracted and end up leaving my back up lights on!

Yeah make sure they are 12v lights and triple check wiring

12. twintreeslawn

thanks a bunch