1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WTB:96 Ford Axle

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by Striper1263, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Striper1263

Striper1263 Member

For some reason the front pass side axle keeps snaping in two. The first time was in about 2" of snow. The second time was this last snow at 4:00am. He was pushing for about 6 hrs.

The bad part is the axle is not the one with the two gears coverd by two rubber boots. This axle looks just like a rear axle but a two piece with a u-joint betweeen the short axle and the longer one.

I either need to find a source for new axle's because my supplier took 4 days to locate one and it cost me $500.00 w/the supplied u-joint and shipping. So if anyone has one to sell or maybe an entire front drive unit I would be interested.

Or if anyone has an idea whats causing it to break would be helpfull. I just bought this truck in the fall and it done nothing but cost me money!!!

Thanks, Doug

2. Whitey

Whitey Member

I probably have the parts you need. I can ship them.

3. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

whitey you dont have a tcase for my 96 f350 psd auto by chance do ya? where ya at in northern michigan?

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

does your 96 F250 have the dana 50 or the dana 44 front axle? both are the TTB IFS design, but use different axle shafts.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

was driver you hired?

Tell him don't turn TIGHT or spin tires. That what cause break. I have F250 I could notice when I make tight turn it sound like it start break if I keep do that. Spin tires is worst thing that can spin sudden it grab traction that how it broke u joint.

One of company truck have 97 F250 HD it never broke u joint or drive shaft in heavy work and plow. Why they don't abusive like spin tires and steering full turn that cause it.

Do you see 50 stamp on front axle? If not then you have dana 44 which they are light duty. Dana 50 is good I have on F250 no issues.

6. Whitey

Whitey Member

No I just changed the axle in my 96 f 250 so I still have the parts from the dana 50

7. Striper1263

Striper1263 Member

Finally got time to look at the numbers stamped on the axle. I assume it's a Dana 50.
    The numbers are: 610459.8 4-10 CU50
    I need the Drivers Side axles.

Doug

8. PSD

PSD Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I still have them.

Rob

9. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

thanks anyways whitey I did find a tcase though in grand rapids.