1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WTB: 700r4 for 86 Chev 3/4 ton

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by TTBoy77, Feb 27, 2007.

1. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

I am possibly looking to buy a different transmission for my truck. I live 20 mins. south of G.B. Wis. so the item would probably have to be shipped. Not looking to spend to much on trans. 'cause the 'ol lady is already mad at how much I spent on my plow this last Dec.

2. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

I could also use a th400 for the same truck

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Keep in mind to swap to a TH400 you would need a matching transfercase, adapters, and driveshafts, not to mention wiring and switches for the passing gear kickdown...

4. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

bump....still looking for a good used, re-built- or re-man that will fit my truck

5. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

If you plan on plowing or pulling a trailer with the 700r4, You might want to buy a few of them.

6. derekbroerse

Why? Just buy one good one... add a big cooler, and don't tow anything heavy in overdrive.

Excellent transmission if its built by someone who knows how...

7. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

I suppose if you can find a good one. I towed my landscape trailer for 4 years (never in overdrive) and had to replace 3 times. Since I sold it, the new owner replaced it twice. Thats 5 trannys in 7 years. 3 different tranny shops. That's pretty coincidental for 2 owners and 3 different trans. shops to screw up that much. I personally blame the 700r4. Just my .02

8. derekbroerse

Dunno. My '90 S15 has an original one, untouched...280k kms and still working about 90% (slips when cold into third if your not careful, and the lockup doesn't activate anymore in OD). Previous owner towed a 14' camper behind the truck with no cooler... I added that after I have accidentally BOILED the tranny fluid twice being in a rush while towing a landscape trailer long distances... hence why the lockup quit working LOL. Still dead reliable and has been working daily this winter, not plowing but carrying around a ton of salt, spreader, and equipment around. A little heavy on the ass-end.

For a long time OD trannies were not well understood by shops and proved unreliable after rebuilding. I guess maybe they've got them figured out now?

9. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Did the truck have a good trans cooler on it? I've had great luck with 700 r4's
    theres one in my '90 suburban that I tow a 24' enclosed car trailer with and have had NO problems in two years.
    Had plenty of 700r4's in plow trucks and with a good cooler and knowledgeable driver, again no problems.

Sounds to me like your trucks trans had a problem that the re-builders were missing each time, could of had a bad valve body or even a case but my suspect would be not enough cooling, heavy duty trans cooler is detrimental to the life of your trans.

10. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

2 of the rebuilds were completely different trannys. And as far as the cooler goes, it was a huge one. I've been plowing and landscaping for 15 years, and have had many differnt trucks. The only truck I ever had trans. problems with (knock on wood) was my 88 2500 with 700r4 trans. Coincidence? Doubt it but who knows. I guess I have just had bad luck with those tranny's.
    Another tid bit of info if you care. A friend of mine ownes a scrap company that buys engines and tranny's from scrap yards and sells the cores over seas. Acording to him the 700r4 is the most popular tranny that runs through his shop. Cosidering he only buy scrap tells me something. And for you ford v10 owners, he says that engine and tranny combo almost never come through the shop, unless it's from a wreck or fire, or from low maintenance. That's why I bought mine 3 years ago.

11. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

Regardless of personal preference (mine being that the 700 CAN be a good unit) I am still in the market for a good used or re-built...

12. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

Yeah, I don't know how this thread got all off track,sorry bout that, but I put a call in to that friend of mine who has the scrap business, he's keeping his eye open for a cut out (truck that was in a wreck with a good motor/trans). He'll be able to sell the tranny CHEAP!! I'll keep you posted.

13. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

That would be GREAT!! Please keep me posted...I appreciate it.

14. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

still looking for a 700r4 guys.....

15. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

to the top!!

16. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

FOUND ONE!!!! MY friend got a cut out. Will sell it to you for $500. That's with the torque converter and all. It's out of an 89' if that's okay. He does have some from an 86' but not in as good of shape. The 89' only has 50 some thousand mi. on it. Let me know.

17. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

Can that fit in an 86? I thought that after 87 1/2 they started with the auxiliary valve bodies. I guess we will have to find out if it'll fit first.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The tranny will work (as long as it out of a 4X4 of course) but it MAY need a slight internal mod. You are correct in saying that the mid '87-up 700's do have the auxiliary valve body. The electric switch may be different on the main valve body that control's the lock up function of the torque converter. The older style 700's that used a vacuum/electric switch on the firewall to command lock up (like your '86) used a normally open pressure switch on the trans valve body. Many of the mid- '87 up 700's used a normally closed pressure switch. If you do need to change it out all you have to do is drop the pan and swap the switches.

19. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

It's okay. I found another good one from an 86'. You just have to let me know if it has a 27 or 30 spline shaft. I was told either one will work but I want to make sure.

20. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

Also, if the trans. is out, pull the torque conv. off and give me the # of the pump. If not it's okay. Worse case senerio, I'll send another one if the firs one doesn't fit. You'll just have to cover shipping. I can ship on Monday if you get back to me soon.