1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WTB: 4x4 shifter for 92-97 ford

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by highridge, Jan 16, 2010.

1. highridge

highridge Member

Hello
    The 4x4 shifter mechanism on my F350 broke the other day so I'm looking to see if anyone has one they are willing to part with. It can be from any F150 F250 or F350 from 92-97. Please make me an offer

Thanks
    Derek

2. tubbykid

tubbykid Junior Member

if you can find any cheaper than 50 dollars i'll take 5....lol

3. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

did it break, or is it just seized? Unfortunately they break easily if you pull on them too hard when they are seized.

Ive heard of people removing and disassembling them, and getting the housing tig welded, much cheaper alternative than replacement if you cant find a used one.

Luckily I was able to remove and rebuild mine when I found it seized last month

4. highridge

highridge Member

It's been seized for a while but it would still go into 4 hi. But I was pulling pretty hard I guess trying to get it into 4 low thats when it broke. I'd like to put a grease fitting on the next one I get so this wont happen again.

5. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

Ive seen someone do that as well

6. highridge

highridge Member

Seems like this is a common problem. You'd think Ford or someone would desgin a better shifter that wasnt made of pot-metal.

7. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

mine did that on both fords, so i just bent th bracket underneath to allow it to slide into each geear and it works great.

if you still need one i can dig one up for you this week at a 4x4 junkyard near me for ya.

8. highridge

highridge Member

You mean the bracket that the pin slides into? I was thinking of griding off the pin so there wouldnt be any interlock.

9. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

Bring it to your local welding shop and ask them to weld it. It is aluminum and known to freeze up and break. Mine did on my old 95 f350. The guy took it apart and sanded it all down and greased it and welded it for $25. It was stronger welded then stock.

10. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

The one in my 95 f350 was aluminum. And when mine broke I was looking to see if I could buy an aftermarket one. And no one manufactuers an aftermarket 4x4 shifter.

11. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

our shop plow truck was 95% frozen.

i took it apart / cleaned / lubed / installed a grease fitting.

now it works better than stock. and i can grease it.

13. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

I have welded many , common problem , the easiest way to fix seems to be to take it apart and have it welded up . Grease fitting is a good idea also .

TOM

14. Keith_480231

Keith_480231 Senior Member

Parting out my '91 F-250. The one from that year wouldn't work?

15. highridge

highridge Member

I'm not sure. I know the 91s are a better design.

16. Keith_480231

Keith_480231 Senior Member

I think so to. Too bad the cancer got this one. Let me know about the shifter.