1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WTB 16x8 or 16x9 Wheels

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DJ Contracting, Mar 4, 2010.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I'm looking fro wheels for my 99 Chevy truck and would like to find 16x8 or 16x9 so I can put my 265 R75 16 tires on them. I think the one inch would make a big difference in the way the tire would look, anyway if somebody is selling any let me know.

2. IApushn

IApushn Junior Member

265 mm = 10.43 inches so I would think you would want the wider rim. JMO

3. DJ Contracting

so maybe a 9inch or even a 10 inch wheel might work.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't go wider than 8"

Just looked quickly at the BFG site. They recommend a rim 7-8 inches for 265. And the 8 would still allow you to go to 285 if you wanted.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  5. DJ Contracting

I know what they recommend however the narrow wheels look like they pinch the tire, I'm looking for a wider look so maybe the 9" would work, if I'm not mistaken they are concerned of the tire coming off the bead with a wide wheel.

6. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

A 265 looks the best on a 7" or 8" rim. If you put them on a 9" or 10" rim, you will get the bubble tire look. Here is a pic of a 265/75/16 on a factory 16x7 rim.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. DJ Contracting

Mossman the bubble look is what I'm looking for, I don't like the look of the tire getting pinched at the bead. Sorry the 7" wheels just make the tire look too skinny.

8. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

i run 265 75 16s with a 16 x 7 wheel- check out my profile for pics. i think it looks pretty "bubbly"

9. DJ Contracting

I'll take a picture of my truck with 7" wheels & 265's and when I get wider wheels I'll take another picture to show the difference.

10. mossman381

When I say bubble look its not a good thing. I don't know how to explain it but it will not look good. I have seen people mount to small of a tire on to wide a rim and it does not look good. I would go with an 8" rim max.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think 10" is the ticket for you. Please post pics ASAP.

:popcorn:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  12. DJ Contracting

I don't plan on getting 10" wide wheels even tho they will work. I was looking more into the 8" or 9" wheels...mossman I think I know what your talking about the tire being stretched to reach the wheel bead...thats not what I'm looking for. I just want the sidewalls to be about as wide as the tread width. I will post pictures as soon as i can find what I'm looking for and I guarantee it will look good, as a matter of fact I just seen a truck here locally that had the look that I'm going for even my wife that doesn't care about wheels and tires said the truck looked good that way.

13. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

I have 16X8 american racing rims with 285's on my 2000 2500. I had 265's on them before, and compared to my 2006 2500HD, the 8" rim makes the tire look a little wider/beefier. However, I would not want to go any wider than that. To me, the 9" would make it look wider than it is tall, and I dont think that looks good at all. With the 285's on the 8" rims, they fit perfect and look even better.

14. mossman381

SawHoss, I wouldn't be afraid to put 285's on a 9" rim. This is a pic of 17x9 with 285's. I have 17x8.5 on my truck now.

[​IMG]

15. DJ Contracting

Mossman that looks good I like Sawhoss said it make the tires look like they have some girth to them

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  16. DJ Contracting

I would like the 9" because in the fall I plane on putting new (285's) skins on, so I'm still looking anybody have any?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  17. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

Mossman, that looks fine to me! I guess seeing is believing. THANKS

18. DJ Contracting

Well here you go I could only find 8" wide wheels (used), anyway I think they made big difference in the way the tire looks and also more importantly my tire tread is fully planted and not riding on the center of the tread. I'll take more pictures tomorrow of the wheels and tire combo, I did have the the tire shop put the white letters on the inside (i don't think white letters pop on a white truck)

99 wheels b4 1.jpg

99 wheels after 1.jpg

99 wheels b4 2.jpg

99 wheels after 4.jpg

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Watch out for curbs. I'm done with white letters.

20. DJ Contracting

Yeah thanks