1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wt to use when u cant use salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by xtreme Contract, Nov 25, 2009.

1. xtreme Contract

xtreme Contract Junior Member

what outher liquid deicers are there out there that are not based from salt or clci?

2. xtreme Contract

no info? any ideas out there

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

gasoline should work, especially if you light it. :jester:

Any spray-able liquid "I" know of that works, and is less then $5 a gallon has some sort of chlorides in it to thin it to spray. Beet juice works but I think you would struggle with nozzle issues with out some sort of liquid chloride to thin it. Even Magic-0, or IceBan have mag in them.

You can spread urea, but it is not very effective.

What are you looking to accomplish here ?

4. xtreme Contract

I have a lot that is banned from using salt and calcium. was looking into magnesium acetate but cant find any suppliers. just looking for clean ideas besides using sinders and sand

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

What about Mag. Chloride ?
    Why no salt or cal. chloride ? Magic touts some pretty good ratings, and the stuff works well. Just to spendy for my stuff.

6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Potassium Acetate, used by airports, nont very corrosive especially compared to salt, and if you can't salt for water quality reasons they will likely not allow anything with chlorides at all.........Potassium acetate does work well when applied properly, but it is pricy compared to brine or even calcium chloride liquid.

7. xtreme Contract

any ideas on were i could find that in ohio?

8. xtreme Contract

cant use salt due to a farm located by the lot got its water contamanated from the salt so there banned from using salt or calcium

9. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Look up Old World Industries.......:nod:

10. xtreme Contract

Thanks good deal

11. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Look into ICE-BAN. I had a customer last year that had a valve break on their storage tank and dumped 1100 gal into their yard and never killed a blade of grass. It is also advertised as less corrosive then distilled water. I use it and have great results. My supplier is the main distributor for Indiana and the surrounding states. PM me if your are interested in more info on them or the ICE-BAN product. It is definitely cheaper then the acetates but some places dictate no chlorides at all so your are limited. I have a contract for 10/11 season that doesn't't allow any chlorides at all and are zero tolerance so acetates will be our answer.

12. Tony717

Tony717 Junior Member