1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wrong oil in blower.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by casey, May 22, 2001.

1. casey

casey Banned

I just realized we used sae30 in our snowblowers instead of 5w30 this winter. Any chance of engine damage? It was a good quality 30 at least.
    Probably about 10 to 15 hours at max -20 C. 8 hp tecumseh's.
  2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I doubt you damaged anything. Those engines can run for about a 1/2 hour straight with no oil in them at all. Those engines are splash oiled. The oil just splashes onto the internals in the crank case. As long as they had oil in them, at the proper level, I see no harm done. That sae 30 is the same as the 5w-30 when the engines are at operating temperature.

3. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

But at very low temperatures the oil will be much thicker, and will "splash" less. And the engine operating temperature is lower in cold weather than at warm temperatures.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2001
  4. casey

casey Banned

Dave, you must have had to dig for this thread.
    Would there be any point switching to Mobil 5W30 ?
    Or not worth the expense?
  5. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Well the cost would be minimal. So why not change to the reccomended oil. If you mean Mobil 1 (the synthetic oil) it will cost a few bucks more, but synthetic oil is much better.