1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wrong holes on edge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Tedd, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Tedd

Tedd Member
    from CT

I bought cutting edge for my 8' mm1 from guy selling in paper a couple of years ago and tried to put it on last night but the holes are wrong. I should have checked when I bought it but it measured right and was painted in factory fisher looking paint so I figured it was right. It actually has one more hole which I should have noticed but didnt, do you guys know if older blades had different mounting? I dont know if I should try to sell if it will fit a different plow or how can I drill the holes. Will a drill work or should I burn them out with a torch? Any advise is appreciated. Tedd

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

What's wrong about them? Location or diameter? I've seen aftermarket edges that used 5/8" bolts, which required drilling of the 1/2" holes on the plow.

3. Tedd

Tedd Member
    from CT

There is one more hole and they start closer to the edge than the correct one. The space between holes is about the same but one is off so it sets them all off. Either it is a screw up or made for different blade.

4. cubicinches

Did you try flipping it over to see if they line up any better?

5. Tedd

Tedd Member
    from CT

Tried that but there is no way the holes will work so I need to know if it will work on different plow so I can sell it or can it be drilled out since it is prob. hardened. holes start about 2 inches in and there are nine holes I think, most are 12 inches apart but one is closer.

6. cubicinches

Huh... Must be for something different. Drilling it would be a *****... they are hard. That sucks.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

local dealer stocks 1 for all fishers. other than width size. and stright / v blade / xls

and sure it wasnt for a meyers :confused:

8. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

I have this same problem on my edge on my MM1.
    I think its because whats on there I think is a cutting edge from like a loader bucket, cause it was cut down.

9. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

ted,
    I think what you have is called a highway punch. when i plowed for a town couple years ago that is what they gave us at the end of the season. The first time it was installed they actually had to drill out a couple of the holes bigger on my trip edge. Since sold that plow and dont plow for the town anymore. It did seem ok though i used that plow for three season that way.

10. Tedd

Tedd Member
    from CT

So do you guys think I should drill plow to match the blade or burn holes in blade? If I could figure out what it fits maybe I could sell it to get new one. Also the plow itself is worn at ends but midle of trip is 5+ inches still so should I wear it down more before putting blade on? Ends are about 4 inches not wearing bolt bracket yet. thanks for the replys

11. iowaegian

iowaegian Junior Member
    from 1

Don't burn them. High carbon steel gets brittle when air quenched. It would likely start cracking soon after you started plowing. Its a pain, but I'd drill'em.

12. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

I def would not torch them. Even drilling would work but honestly you are better off just buying the right cutting edge. Unless you are going to stick with the highway punch style. Not worth the work in my opinion.

13. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Drill your plow or buy the right cutting edge.

14. Wildman_fab

Wildman_fab Junior Member

I just had to do this on my 8ft, brand new fisher edge wont fit on my plow. I got the torch out and went to town on the plow, now I have 2 sets of holes for the NEXT time I need an edge!

15. gr40rcapri

gr40rcapri Junior Member

Tedd,

What is the bolt spacing on your edge? starting from the end of the edge to the centerline of the 1st hole, and then the spacing from there?

maybe I can help...

J

16. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

If you bring it to a welding / fabrication place they may be able to punch new holes in the edge with a hydraulic punch.