1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wrong attack angle

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by clark lawn, Feb 15, 2010.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

I believe this is a fisher tripedge 8' plow. the angle of the cutting edge is almost horizontal, i found one spring is broke and i think the others are weak. do i just need to replace the springs or what? The springs run horizontal along the pivot.

mms_picture[1].jpg

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

how does the a frame sit?

3. clark lawn

from NE ohio

i tried it in all the holes low at trk side, parallel and higher at trk side make not difference. it seems like the trip edge rolls foward when you put weight on blade.

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Its an old pre-Meyer Diamond blade that has torsion springs along the pivot. The springs are likely broken or worn out. Also the edge itself or blade may be worn or bent to allow edge to pivot more then it should. Hard to tell with all the snow on it. Yes, the older style blades were made with A-frame spacing the same as the Fisher. The headgear was basically the same as well, just no yellow triangle. The builders were former Fisher employees after all. The aframe should sit level and the edge should be closer to vertical then a Fisher tripedge.

The torsion springs are getting harder to find. I know because I just located some to have on hand for my Diamond V. Best bet is to try long established plow shops in New England.

5. clark lawn

from NE ohio

that seems to be what it is. is there anyplace i can get s diagram of what they are supossed to look like? i dont think ill mess with it till over the summer but i would like to see how its supossed to be.

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I will dig around and see what I have for diagrams. If not I can take a pic of my V, same style trip edge. I don't have any straight Diamonds.

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Since the trip edge IS all the way forward I dont see how it can be from week springs :dizzy: A week spring would prevent it from returning to the fully front position.

O ya since your asking about the trip edge next time BRUSH THE SNOW OFF before taking the pick.

Looks like the plow is mounted too low (is the A frame level?)

Where the mold board meats the trip edge, the mold board is not vertical enough. bad weld/ broken pivot bolt. bent A frame... the top of the plow is to far back.

8. Proplower85

Proplower85 Junior Member
    from NH

everything looks normal... However the blade looks like it is being rolled back which would be from the A-Frame sitting to close to the ground. What size is the plow and what is it on? I would say that if you want a more vertical trip edge with the trip edge seated You would have to find a way to lift the A-Frame further from the frame I.E. Truck Lift kit, Bigger Tires ETC... I had this problem on my older Chevy Pickup.. I lifted it 3 inches and the lengthened the chain and it sat more level and the cutting edge not the trip edge as well was doing the cutting (Less Wear :nod:) Hope this help. Best of luck to you.

9. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Also check the holes to see if they are worn. Bad springs is not what is happening-bad springs would cause the opposite problem. Check the pin holes and level the a frame.

10. clark lawn

from NE ohio

ok i'm starting to rehab this plow. all but 2 of the torsion springs were broken, got all new springs and tubes. the aframe was sitting level when it is on the truck, even now when i raise the a-frame to level it still doesnt sit right. is there anyplace i can get some specs on theis plow so i can start looking into it so im ready when the snow starts up again.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Post some pics so we can see exactly what the plow is and what you are talking about.

To me it looks like stated above that it may be an older Meyer. If that's the case, its the pivot pins and stops that are the problem, and if its too bad the moldboard may be shot. You can bandaid it but its not a permanent fix. That is, if indeed it is the problem.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  12. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

There are 3 mounting holes in the back of the a frame. What one is it in? That will change ur angle.

13. clark lawn

from NE ohio

i tried it in all three. the problem is not the moldboard angle just the trip edge.

14. clark lawn

from NE ohio

this is from the side plow is not on the truck right now

mms_picture[1] (5).jpg