1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wrangler TJ ?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by RONK, Nov 25, 2009.

1. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm considering buying one as a second plow truck to do residential and light commercial.I'd want a 4.0 and would't have a problem using a manual trans.What should I be looking for in a TJ?Best years?What modifications are recommended?What plow?What are there limitations in plowing with one?Thanks.

2. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

there were a bunch of electrical issues in 97, a few in 98 and pretty sure they were worked out in 99. Then around 02 or 03 they got a 6 speed in place of the 5 speed manual. you really cant go wrong with any year though. and do a search for setup, theres enough around here

3. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Member

If you want a 5spd, I would look for a late 01 to 04, with the NV3550 trans, which is stronger than the AX15. The 6spd has a very low torque limitation, so I have my doubts about it's longevity, but I haven't heard of any problems either. The 97 electrical problem was with the main connection to the IP. It was easily fixed, and I think there was a recall on it. I haven't heard of any electrical problems on 98-99.
    2000 also was the year it went distributorless, which I like for wet conditions. I think the 6spd was 05 or later, wasn't an option when I got my 04.

4. martyman

martyman Senior Member

In the movie Christmas story they keep saying to the little boy that wants a BB gun "you're going to shoot your eye out"...with a Stick "your going to burn your clutch out" :nod:

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Just because YOU burn out clutches :cry: dont mean he will. I've plowed with clutches for 23 years NEVER Burnt one out. My Friend has been plowing with a clutch for 30 years he never burnt one out.

But then I have a Friend that burnt one out in a car in 2 days. He only drives automatics now. I WONT lend him my jeep.

6. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

I've plowed with a manual trans for a few years,no problems.I have an auto now but wouldn't have a problem going back,thanks for the warning though.