1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wrangler or Cherokee sport for driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmelicious, Mar 13, 2007.

1. dmelicious

dmelicious Junior Member

hey guys, i plow mainly drives, and want something move manueverable. do you think a 2000-2003 wrangler or cherokee sport ? either with a 4.0 straight 6 and auto tranny for the sport, and a 5speed for the wrangler.,gonna get the snowway with down pressure, but not sure which jeep. help. thanks
  2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I would say (but I'm biased) the Cherokee IF you can find one with the Selectrac transfer case, this gives you 2wd - 4wd Part time - 4wd Full time ( thats the important one) - 4wd Low. With the full time option you can leave it engaged all the time which makes cleaning up a breeze since you have the benefits of 4wd without all the axle binding.

Depending where in Upstate, NY you are I have a white 99 Cherokee Sport with the selectrac that we were planning on trading in, I have some pics if you're interested.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  3. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Cherokee works for me, as you can see.
  4. Rickco

Rickco Member

I am looking to get a jeep this year and may be interested. please send me some pics and ifo on it.
    P.S. I'm going to town next month
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have not used a Cherokee but I have use wranglers (for 19 years) for driveway you cant beet them. with a wrangler when plowing a 3 car garage you can plow across the doors IE no backdraging!! it's shorter than the Cherokee.
  6. hydroturf

hydroturf Junior Member

I have a wrangler with a 6'10" blade and a buyers spreader that does a great job. I have a 4.0 which was recommended and i've never had any problems.
  7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

i would go with wrangler w-v6 and auto trans,my boss has a 97 wrangler w- 4 cly and stick it to underpowered and it gets busy jamming gears and operating the plow at the same time
  8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Hi Wild Bill
    Tell your boss to mount the controller on the shifter... I been doing that for 18 years in my jeeps. O ya I drive sticks hated the auto. and Jeeps have inline 6 not V6 (except the 07Jeeps they have V6)
  9. plowtj

plowtj Junior Member

plowing with a 2000 tj

Hi i own 2 6-plex apartments with small parking lots , i use a 2000 jeep wrangler tj with a staight 6 and auto, it works great, i have a meyers 6.5 poly blade with the e-z mount and a E-60 pump, great set-up. the jeep can turn in a very short radius, you can plow the snow into such tight places, where you could not get a pick up truck in. i have seen some plow contractors in my area that have alot of condos using a jeep for the small drives and it works great,i use to use a full size dodge to do the same thing. i vote for the jeep.
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Wrangler, with the 6 cyl, awesome driveway machine.
  11. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

1998 wrangler

i sent you a pm today. The wrangler i used to own, my friend tom bought. However, he bought a limo company at about the same time and hasn't even used it. Its got a 6.8 blizzard that was like new when i sold it to him. Its got the 6 cyl, auto, and air. He's in Long Island NY and he can be reached at 516 860-4377. You wont be disappointed. Good luck, Jack