1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wrangler height with Western Uni Mount

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by aje3721, Sep 11, 2011.

1. aje3721

aje3721 Junior Member

I have a 94 YJ with a Western Uni Mount and am having a heck of a time with leveling the A-frame. Back in the day I started out with the stock suspension on the Wrangler and over time and many miles the factory springs sagged dangerously. I installed the front air shock mod and that helped for a while but it was clear I needed springs. I initially went with a 2" lift and had issues with the height of the vehicle. I made adapter plates to "lower" the A frame to the suggested 91/2 - 101/2" from the ground but had issues with the pump and light bracket geometry working right. Sold the lift and went with stock springs with a leaf added in the front. Now I hung the plow on the mount, angled it and again the blade is digging on both sides when angled. Is there a way to compensate for the lower mount point being 13" off the ground rather than 9 1/2"? Can I loosen the center pivot bolt and give the blade play? I hate to cut apart the A frame and modify it and I sure don't want to lower the vehicle mount. I'd be hitting manhole covers with the mount in the middle of the summer!

2. snowplowdog

snowplowdog Member

I don't know how much help this will be since I don't have the same plow, but when I mounted mine to the front of my YJ I made a 2 piece mount so I could easily remove the lower portion in spring & still have plenty of ground clearance. Not sure how well that'll work with a unimount but I've been extremely pleased with the way mine works out. It also gives me a place to mount my brush guard in the summer!

3. aje3721

aje3721 Junior Member

plow dog - I would love to have a pic of that mount. I've had the torch in hand many times looking at my mount and, like I said, I even made extension pieces to essentially lower the A frame but due to the way the Uni Mount works, my lights pointed straight up when I raised the plow. I've read quite a few posts with guys having height issues with YJs so you may be a hero if you posted your mount! Thanks so much!