1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wrangler for a plow truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John O., Feb 19, 2005.

1. John O.

John O. Member

I'am looking into buying a 95 wrangler as a plow truck. I wanted to know what you guys think is too much to plow as far as the size of a lot. Also i was curious if anyone uses the in-line 4 cylinder engine, and if it has enough power to plow. It would also be a Manuel tranny.

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

this may come out wrong but if you do a search on Wrangler you will get alot of responses.
    Get the 4.0, the 4 cylinder is low on power for plowing even though some have don't it with no problems.

3. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

I've got a 97' with a 6cyl 5spd. The owners manual says they don't recommend plowing with a 4 cyl automatic. That's all I can find in there about plowing with a 4.

4. Mistel

Mistel Member

John

I have the same question as I want to get a similar truck to plow with. I only have a couple lots to do and my current truck is just to much of a pig on gas. (chev 2500, 6L) I was thinking an older Jeep YJ, 4 cyl, stick. I'll watch this thread

5. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

I myself use a 97 tj with 4.0L 6cyl, auto. And agree with Luppy I think the four is underpowered. There is a guy by me that has a 4 cyl w/ manual he has been trying to sell with a western blade for 2 years. I was driving by his place during the last big storm we had (12 inches) and he was plowing with it, I watched him stallout twice trying to push, then he ended up raising the blade and taking it down layer by layer. My 6 cyl has never had that kind of trouble pushing. But it could be operator error, I only got to see him running it, and not try it myself.