1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice
  1. BlueDog Ram

BlueDog Ram Junior Member

I just got a quote from First Financial Network (goes thru progressive) about commercial insurance..

Here's what they said.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6cyl Diesel
    1 Driver (me, 20) no accidents/tickets

1mil GL
    20/40 personal injury

Premium: $5,360 per year.

This would cover lawncare in the summer and plowing in the winter.. I didn't think the insurance would be THIS high! Now Im having second thoughts about all this.. :help:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Look around.Find an insurance broker. When do you turn 21 ? You may get a break at that age and hows your credit score they go by that also.

3. BlueDog Ram

Turn 21 in June. I may have to *gasp* run w/o insurance till late-summer to fall to maybe get a break.. Don't see much point in running insurance on lawn care at a small scale anyway.. :dizzy:

4. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Wow. My general liability, commercial truck, and workmans comp all cost less than that combined, about $3k less. Keep looking around.

5. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

insurance

blue dog give me a pm or email me i am in the same area as you are and pay 465.00 a year for 1 mil gen lia and 65 a month for com auto i forgot how much my workmens comp is jillssnowlawncare@sbcglobal.net

6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Oh, and I forgot to add, I'm only 18. So you should definitely get a better deal than that.

7. BlueDog Ram

That's what I was thinking guys..

Can't PM yet, but I'll e-mail you asap.

Thanks for the quick help!

8. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

try hortica insurance they specialize in insuring the green industry

9. gump

gump Member

That seems extremely high! have you called progressive directly to get a qoute? I go through progressive and it cost 950 for 6 months.

10. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Getting insurance when you are under 21 and a single male will be a small fortune. When you turn 21 it will go down a little and then go down quite a bit when you turn 25. When I bought my first new truck at age twenty I was paying $350/month for insurance.

11. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

im the same age as you and have a 2000 f-350 v10 gassser and my quote for a year which covered plowing and landscaping was just a little more than 2 grand. i paid about 1500 a year for reg. auto insu.

12. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

My $2 mil. Gen. Liability with Daniel Boone (written through Shelter) $1800.00/yr. $500k on commercial vehicle (Shelter) $380.00/6 mo. Work comp $800.00/yr. Bet it's your age.

13. BlueDog Ram

I bet it has to do with my age too, but what the hell!? I'm tired of working for big corporations and want to strike out on my own. Why do they have to make everything sooo difficult? I thought this was supposed to be a good country for the small business owner! :realmad:

About to send an e-mail now.

14. grandview

Welcome small business owner!

It only starting!

15. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

For my brother and I (21 and 19) no tickets etc, for our three trucks 2 that are f550s and 2 mil liability for landscaping we pay almost $10g thru Commerce insurance

16. BlueDog Ram

Do you guys think it would be more cost effective to have everything insured with my dad 59, no tickets in recent history with me as a secondary driver?

17. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

Insurance is nothing but a racket. They own all the politicians. They pay if they feel like it. They charge you what they like.

18. grandview

Here's some sideways thinking. Bite the bullet and find the best you can and pay it. If your in for the long haul you need to start building credit. With all of the credit crunch going on it's going to be tough going .

19. stroker

stroker Junior Member

If you have a another vehicle that your listed on as a primary, it may be OK and save you some cash but it's always best to contact a good insurance agent . They know your particular state laws and will usually give the advice you need to save a few bucks but remain properly covered. In my state we have a "service" coverage that applies to certain small businesses and it's save me a ton of cash over the commercial rate. You may want to check if your state has anything similar.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008