1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WOW weather June in Buffalo?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Grass?, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Yesterday I was out in a T-shirt and shorts washing and waxing the truck. Got up to 64 outside. Today thay say its going to 70.
    I was about to pull the trailer out and get the equip going.

Is it June allready or just a trick?

Thay say the temps are going to fall about 50 degrees and the southtowns will expect a foot of snow sunday. with a inch here.

Talk about a shock to the system...

The home & garden expo at the convention center opens today so it may get people there and thinking about spring.
    Anyone from Buffalo area going or have something set up there? I'm thinking about going.
    Time to get the adds going...

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Got Grass?, I was wondering if all that snow you guys got is melted? And how bad has flooding been?

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

While there is no snow in the forecast ( :mad: ) today is supposed to be around 13 Celcius (about 52 F) with rain and "possibly" thunderstorms. For tomorrow? Calling for wind and down to freezing again. :confused:

Good weather to make you catch a cold or the flu! Been quite a bit of that pattern the past month, well above freezing for a couple days then cold again. Not enough sustained cold weather to put sufficient ice on the lakes for fish huts this winter though.

As far as spring activities go, there's a motorcycle show in Barrie I'm going to this afternoon - indoors of course! :D Not quite ridin' weather yet...................

4. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Not quite riding weather yet? I have been riding my bike the last few days down here. No snow to plow, all the equipment has been gone through at least twice, little to early to start working on the lawns so not to much to do, except ride. My brother went to Daytona this past week and now I am pissed, because if I knew it was going to be like this I could have gone, when he was making the plans he asked me if I wanted to go and I said no, because we are usually plowing the first week of March so I passed and now I am sitting here with not much to do. Oh well there is always next year.

5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Too d*** sloppy for riding up here - although there hasn't been anything plowable since Feb 4, there have been lots of worthless "fizzle" snowfalls, and any day that's been warm has usually been wet also.................

Took the plow off the truck last night, we'll see if that causes any snow to fall....................:rolleyes:

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I can hear a Harley going down the State road nearby as I type. Nothing here to make it sloppy, reservoirs are about dry too.

7. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Today it was around 70. I saw about 20 bikes go by the gas station where i work harleys/sport bikes, 10 porches, 3 ferrari's, 3 hot rods. If the temperature is above like 50, the place the road is filled with "summer" toys.

Once i get my new truck, it'll be a real toy:D

Maybe this weather is just a trick, i hope not though as i'm getting my equipment ready for mowing.

Bryan

8. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Hey SLC1, what year truck is that dump, the chevy one, not the brand new one. looks like a nice setup for that truck. What brand of spreaders do you use. Overall very nice equipment.

9. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Lawn Kid, The Chevy One-ton dump with the lettering on the dumpbody is a 2000, the other one is a 2002. Thankyou, I will post a picture of my bike also that is a Yamaha 2001 R1, Thanks for the compliment

10. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Talk about a mojor shock to the system...
    I was out in the garage waxing my truck in a t & shorts listening to the sweet sound or Harleys going by, when a major front just moved it...
    Got up to 69 here today felt like June...
    Within 15(or so) mins. the temp. droped down to 39.
    39mph avg. winds with gusts up to about 60. Sideways rain with snow mixed in, lighting and power wires falling all arround luckaly not here... lol

BTW: All the snow has not melted yet and wont for a long time (only parking lot loader stacked snow)...

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I stopped to look at a plow truck for sale on the side of the road today. It was parked at a new construction building where they had recently seeded the lawn. Would you believe it is sprouting already?

SLC1, have you had a chance to use the snowpusher on the skid steer yet? If so, how's it work? Is that a 226?

12. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Pelican01, The skidsteer is a 226 bought new this fall and I have not gotten a chance to use the pusher yet. The pusher is a protech that we used to have on a backhoe loader it was a 12' over the winter we cut it down and welded it up, and then we ordered the attahment plate for it, but we only plowed snow in January and the pusher wasnt ready for it. But it does work awsome on sidewalks, we used it four times and it worked great for that, I was really hoping to get to try out the pusher this season but it doesnt look that way, oh well there is always next year.

13. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

You are right about this weather causes the flu. i got the nastiest cough, and everytime i cough i check to make sure i didnt lose a lung. This windy front is a PITA. It brought down so many freakin twigs. It makes cleanups so much harder. SCL1, the berlin tpke has been getting busier and busier if you're looking for something to do. If we catch a dry weekend, it will pretty packed.

14. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Power agian?

Welps, about 10mins after my last post we lost power.
    Came back on arround noon sunday. Phone & Cable (internet) were out untill about 1/2 hr. ago... Finnaly I'm able to get back online...
    No cable TV / No Internet / No Phone / No snow / Outta touch with the world for a couple days. Talk about being bored... Heck I went to the bar just to watch the weather forcasts, now thats pathetic...

A couple extremely old maples fell on my property luckaly they were way back and caused no damage. One w/ 2 main trunks fell in oppiset directions, the other ripped outta the ground roots & all leaving a 15+ft hole in the ground. I'm gunna have fun with my Stihl 029 this year removing the 3/4ft+ trunks when it warms up agian (ught)...

If you remember my posts about the ice storm and the branches falling on and almost totaling my neighbors Chevy 1500. Well he fixed the truck (Parts (hood, corner panels, etc... reaplaced) primed not painted yet). A branch fell landing about a foot away this time. He got lucky!

Driving arround that night. I almost hit 3 mailboxes in the road.

Somehow with luck on my side, I was able to miss a speed limit sign flying down the road aimed directly at my windshield. I'm still in shock and amazed at how I managed to avoid it killing me or at least damaging my new tuck...

The next morning on the way to the gas station to get the paper I saw a maple fall (timber!) and cause a power line to snap & fall on top / over a school bus, while at a stop sign loaded with kids (sparking near the windows). Luckaly the driver saw the line in the mirrors and didnt take off. Called 911 on my cell. Police and FD came cut power to the neighborhood, pulled the line off, sent the bus/kids on ther way to school and called NiMo. Luckaly everyone was ok...

This winter has been hell for homeowners. Come spring (March 20th? lol), well when the season starts. Us landscapers will be swamped with people demanding cleanups and damage repair... =$$$$$