1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wow, was that slick

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LoneCowboy, Feb 11, 2009.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

So, little surprise storm, 0 to 2 inches, depending on what side of the building. Some places needed to be plowed, some places had dry sidewalks (crazy)
    But if it had snow on it, it was pretty icy underneath so we salted walks pretty heavily if we removed snow.

so, last place, it's a little old lady, we always do the walks so she doesn't slip and fall and usually the driveway. Latey there's been a car at the bottom of the driveway and the driveway is downhill from the street. (stupid design)

So, coming up, slowing down, put on brakes on street.

I slide for like 100 feet or more from maybe doing 10mph. :eek:

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk, it's slick out.
    I back up
    You know, I don't think we're going to take the truck down there, I can just see it sliding into the car (very bad). So, we'll just shovel it and ice melt it and she'll be ok (sun is coming out, it will melt quickly)

helper steps out of truck and BAM down he goes. :eek:
    solid ice.
    hmmm, help him back in
    and move down the street to get out
    get salt spreader and walk with it in front of us to get to the walk.
    The lady comes out to get her paper
    "get back in there, I"ll bring it to you"
    We probably dumped 50lbs of ice melt on this 100' of walk and driveway.

It was crazy slick
    I'm very glad i choose to not drive down the driveway. Probably would have ended up in the house.
  2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

At least you finally had a plowable event.

Sunday a.m. coming home from a Cub Scout camp out. Went around a shaded corner and the back end of the truck started coming around. First time all year I have lost control. We came out ok, but it sure woke my son up.
  3. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

I sure can relate! We live on a dirt road off a dirt road. Wife had a devil of a time getting up a hill on our road and I thought she might be stuck in the VW. Fired up the F350, came out of the drive, and woosh, went totally sideways (in 4HI). Got up there and she was gone, made it out to the main paved road. It's supposed to rain here tommorrow, then drop to -8C. Man, what a year for ice! :mad:

4. LoneCowboy

plowed 1/2 of 3 lots (north sides)
    shoveled about half the properties

2" on the grass, 0 to 2 on the lots and walks.
    but, supposed to snow thursday night and this should cool the ground down nicely so it sticks.

I'm trying to be positive here.xysport
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Don't you just love those North facing sides of lots..:cool:

I had bout an inch...2 on the north sides close to the building.

I think a decent storm is coming in..I've heard 3-6, and more to the north like fort collins and LONGMONT....:drinkup:

Maybe March will kick some arse....I'm already working on obtaining more spring/summer lawn work...at least there is some consistency in that.
  6. LoneCowboy

I have this one property, it's an apartment building (12 units) and the upper units are all connected by a wooden deck that runs east west (so it gets no sun in the winter, all shaded by the building)
    MAN does that thing build snow.
    more than is on the grass
    and you have to shovel it all down below, then shovel the snow off the below area.
    thank goodness I get paid on time there.