1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WOW just got butt ripped; Just need to vent off

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Firemanfive0, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Firemanfive0

Firemanfive0 Member
    from Midwest

Local Pastor for the Methodist Church that I do just called and wanted to know "why the sidewalks were not cleaned prior to church Sunday morning". (we had got one inch snow overnight) I told her that they had set the trigger a 2.5 - 3 inches of snow and we had not got that much snow, but if she wanted to redo the contract to keep them "clean" i would be more than happy to do so. I also told her that it would cost her everytime i clean them. She said she was not aware of the trigger but did not want to redo the contract and she would arrange someone to clean them when the snow is below the trigger. By the way I do the sidewalks for $35 and with that I clean the parking areas next to the curb (200feet of sidewalk and parking spaces. I just need to vent, so if anyone else needs to also, heres your chance.
  2. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

Fireman, i had the same problem with new customers. I learned that if the snow fall is questionable {under the trigger} i give them a call...makes them feel more important and your providing a better service.then your making money on a storm you normally wouldnt.
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

wow, a 2.5" trigger at a church :eek:. You would think they would want them clean all the time, so a 1" would be more like it.

I would call them back and tell them what service you would offer for $35. Although, many time they just have people from the church do it for free. Thats what the church we do does.
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I would have told her to go to hell
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I do two churches, 1 to 1.5 inches we usually salt and anything over is plowing. I agree with the other responce, with a church I would think the 35.00 is meaning less and have you do them, especially with the curb side serivce you provide as well.
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

do people even read the contracts they sign?
    for the service they want?
    was it their contract or yours?
  7. Firemanfive0

Firemanfive0 Member
    from Midwest

butt still aching

my contract. I originally wanted to keep it "clean". The Treasurer did not think it needed done every time changed it to the 2.5 trigger. Now the Pastor does not like the way I am keeping the sidewalks clean. I am dealing with the Pastor, secretary, treasurer; they need to communicate. I want to do them a good job, just put it in writing what they want as a group. :confused:

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Church = Always looking for free stuff or "cheapest" but want it done the best and seem to complain the most.

Graveyard = Pays well and never had a complaint.

I grew up in a family where all of my uncles and grandfather were Baptist ministers.

Church's will take advantage of anyone they can if it benefits them and if you disagree you must hate God.
  9. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

The churches we do are kind of a "variable trigger" I guess you could call it. Any other day is 2", but wedsneday and saturday night are 1". Really works out better as a selling point because most churches only have the 1 or 2 big days of use.
  10. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I don't think you got ripped off, I thought you had lost the contract because of that. Just make sure that the pastor knows that you would of kept it clear, but that someone else wanted to change it.
  11. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

thats correct i hate good cause he dosent fill my pockets with money. heck he cant even keep my truck out of the way of the muni plow. o thats right plowing not god is what were talking about. heck they dont even pay taxes make them pay to keep there lot and sidewalk clear if not make sure ur not lieable how many sick and decrepid people go to church. a ton so when they fall its ur butt. id have zero tolerance with in 24 hours of any event there having and i would have them fax u or email u acopy of there events a week ahead and to edit an event it would have to be 48 hrs ahead of time. just me thou
  12. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

It all depends on the church, alot of times these churches are hurting for money. Theres one that we do that is hurting and they only have two services a week, so if it snows mid week we let it ride. But come sunday they get the 1" trigger. The other churches we do, they're all bringing in the money big time. The one is bringing in 30,000 weekly, yes weekly! Never had one call from them, if you can do it, they want it done, they dont even question cost.
  13. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I don't think you got ripped off. You didn't lose the contract or really any money. I'd call her back and go over the situation with her again. Maybe have a meeting with both the pastor and treasurer?
  14. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

I won't deal with churches. I tell them to go somewhere else, I can't help them.
  15. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

I give out a few courtesy calls to new clients every time snow falls to get a feel on how they feel about the snow they received :dizzy:

FISHERBOY Senior Member

At my church they hav a maintenance man who does the walkways, with a four-wheeler
  17. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

the church that i cover iam usually over there at 7am on a sunday making sure eerything is clean after a storm. we really dont have a trigger for there because they have a preschool every day and activities at night. we get a dusting. im there! it pretty nice bec its always black and wet when anybody arrives. they have a maintenance man but he dropped the ball last year and let the snow and ice freze on thew side walk. so i had to go clean them. this year we do everything there and they are happy..
  18. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

You know all the pastor would of had to do is call you when he got up and saw that there was snow on the ground and im sure you could of got over there in time instead he waits till after thats terable. I dont understand it you have a contract and you sticked to it if you would of went and shoveled it he would of called you complaining that you didnt stick to the contract and was trying to rip him off. its a no win situation and just another day in the life of a snow plow contractor. dont beat your self up over it i have a few customers like that just grit you teath and be nice.
  19. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Churches can be difficult to deal with. I serviced one for 4 years. Plowed the lot and cleared 300 feet of sidewalk. No complaints. This year I told them I was no longer doing any sidewalk work and I raised the price a few bucks for the lot due to increasing costs. Plowing season was getting close and didn't hear anything from them concerning the new contract. I called them and they dropped me like a hot rock. I asked them who was doing it this year and they told me. I know the new guy personally so I told them, you know, he isn't going to do the sidewalks either. They said they knew and they were going to one of the church members to do the sidewalks. Well the sidewalks look like crap and I know the guy that is doing it now charges really close to what I do. I think they were mad that I wouldn't do the sidewalks and decided to hire some else. Oh well. Win some, lose some. I'll ask the new plower when I see him what he charged them just to confirm my suspicions.
  20. jeeps rule

jeeps rule Junior Member

"I am dealing with the Pastor, secretary, treasurer; they need to communicate. I want to do them a good job, just put it in writing what they want as a group."

I would arrange a meeting with the three of them and have them agree on a trigger:dizzy:. It is frustrating when you have 3 people that think they are in charge and they do not communicate between themselves. :confused::realmad: The worst part is all of them will probably blame you for the situation. Just my .02