1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wow... I just have to share this !

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Durkis007, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Durkis007

Durkis007 Junior Member

Hey All.... Long time lurker here, and was finally thinking of getting into the biz.

I am a full time exteriors contractor, and was looking to supplement my business in the winter, as when its snowing, im not working.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a Boss Poly V DXT for my 2013 Ram 3500 Mega cab truck with the Cummins and Aisin tranny.

Well... before I go an spend the $$ on the plow, I checked with my insurance agent to see how much additional it would have been for plowing.... Now here is the kick in the Nu*s.

I have a Million dollar general liability policy already for my business. I figured I could add plowing for a few bucks more.... Oh NO.... Not even close.

My agent tells me I need a completely separate policy to the tune of somewhere between $3500 and $4000... I already pay in the neighborhood of $3200 for my GL policy... Crazy...

Needless to say I have put this plow idea on the back burner, especially since the season is half over in my area.

I hate Jersey!

2. d_charters

d_charters Junior Member
    from ontario

I pay $1000. for GL landscaping and $3500. GL for snow removal. and only $150. for Christmas light installation all with a 5 mil. liability

3. djt1029

djt1029 Senior Member

Welcome to the snow removal in Jersey....Check out Farm Family Insurance, they're local and fair...it's expensive still, but worth looking into

4. Durkis007

Durkis007 Junior Member

Hey DJT1029... Thanks for the info.... Whats the odds my actual initials are DJT also... small world.

5. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

For a long time lurker, you seem shocked about the cost of GL snow policies, when it's all that we (NJ guys) have been talking / complaining / moaning about for over 6 months when the shinola started to hit the fan. :confused::confused: just search the business forum, and you'll find tons of back and forth conversations about just what you want to know, and what has transpired so far. NJ INS. companies don't want snow policies because people here SUCK (not all, but a lot) and think it's normal to sue someone for their own damn stupidity.

I have FFI and they don't offer "FAIR" snow policies to contractors that aren't landscapers, unless you only do residential. They supposedly have an inexpensive policy (what that means, I have NO IDEA) that will cover residential clearing ONLY. It was offered to me by my FF agent, but I declined it, as I have a few commercial jobs that I want to keep.

Welcome to the club. Get ready to pay your dues....:rolleyes:

6. Durkis007

Durkis007 Junior Member

Well from the posts ive been reading it seems like most guys on here are landscapers and the like. Where their regular GL policy is peanuts maybe a 1000 bucks. A friend of mine is a painter, pays $800 something, like I said peanuts.

I already have a GL policy for my home improvement company where I pay over 3000 a year (never since i started the company in 2001 have I had a claim). I was small minded in the fact since im already being screwed with the GL policy maybe snow plowing wouldn't be as high to add. I was wrong.

Dont even get me started on Workers Comp... I need to move to the south! haha, but down there ill complain that everyone does the work for practically free. Its amazing how "cheep" home improvements are down there. A buddy of mine moved to a burb of Atlanta, had his roof done for almost a $125 less a square then I have to fight to get up here in NJ from all the uninsured turds running around pretending to be a roofing and siding contractor.

I went on a tangent... sorry...

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why it costs so much is higher risk when your a snow only company ,where as,if you do landscaping and snow your spreading the risk for them.

8. dm5.9

dm5.9 Member

I got a quote for snow only for 2500 but was able to have it added onto my Wiring business gl for 1000 for the year. I have a good ins rep who searched around alot for me. If you need someone let me know.

9. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

No problem, it's understood.

WC is controlled by the state, so it wouldn't help if you did complain anyway.:dizzy:

My Contracting GL is a lot less, although I've never had a claim. If you haven't had one in the last 3 years, you really need to research a new company to requote you. Don't know how / what you're insured for, but if you want, PM me, I can give you the name of the new guy I just found, and I'm sure he can see what he can do for you. So far, seems like an upstanding guy, and my contracting GL policy is only about $1k a year. $500 or so for an extra umbrella. WC is about $950, but I have no employees, and a low salary:blush2: I won't give you his name unless I get a good deal on the snow policy, as he's waiting on the official quote from the company (not farm family). This is one of the reasons I moved.

Although I had it with a FF agent, and moved to another FF agent, I found out that I was under-insured by the first agent. Wasn't a huge difference in premium, but it would have been a huge difference if I had a loss. It needs to be reviewed from time to time to make sure you're not overpaying, or underinsured.

I've made this mistake in the past, as I've failed to keep up on my ins policies, and their competitiveness. I get comfortable, and just pay the bill.

Stupid, I know.