1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WOW , Arctic has bad wirering

Discussion in 'Arctic Sectional Sno-Pusher' started by diehrd, Feb 26, 2008.

1. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

I hooked up plow in wait for the storm heading my way , Funny thing is i hooked up a day early which i never do .

Well low and behold , I plug in lights and wham , i have no plow lights , worse yet is my head lights are now fried and when I hit high beams i get all 4 bulbs on the truck head lights to light up with what appears to be 5 volts worth of light.

So what a cluster f#$% .. I tear grill off and start looking around for a short , and or a bad ground which the truck acts like it has one of each.

I give up after a few hours , call around for help and end up at a shop that services Big rigs and town plow type set ups , I call Arctic get a wire diagram faxed to me talk to tech Gerry and end up going no where with that except his insistence his harness MUST BE INVERTED, after 3 hours the guy says look I cant figure it out I think truck harness has an issue and or one of the trucks switches or relays .

He starts to reassemble the truck and in walks a friend of his who says give him 10 minutes to look at it..The first thing he does is look at the Arctic connectors and says I bet the issue is right here , He then messes with the harness plugs that attach to the truck headlights and gets lights , not correctly , I am still getting high and low elements to light up , he then checks fuses finds a dead one and swaps it out and presto I am up again .

he goes back to the Arctic harness and its inverted connectors and says how old are these I say 1 year he says well there all corroded like there years and years old and you plow plugs are made for **** .

SO thats my story , although I do love my arctic plow from day 1 I hated the plow light plugs and a year later I now hate there harness connectors for the head lights. 4 hours of life gone at that shop and 2 at my house on lights that in all my life I have never had to play with on any plow LET ALONE A VIRTUALLY NEW PLOW ,,,

Arctic get you wire harness and plug connectors UP TO STANDARD , until then I would never suggest anyone buy an Arctic ! And to any I have if U do have light issues I apologize for suggesting arctic .
  2. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Pretty interesting, since I just got an Artic in my shop that the headlights are on all the time, even with the switch inside totally disconnected!!!
  3. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

i must say aswell i like my arctic but the same issue.... cheap wiring... corrosion at the plugs and they break inside the coating...
  4. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

I still have light issues,, from the first season brand new , until this 3 rd season .. light issues are a standard features for an arctic set up . . Worst head light harness ever conceived and manufactured .. You would think after 3 years they would have fixed it.. but wtf,, nope ..
  5. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

I have 1 Artic and 3 Boss the next plow I buy will be Boss because of wiring and parts avalibility on the artic. JMO