1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would you wire a plow like this......in CHICAGO

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Dissociative, Nov 7, 2009.

?

Would you take this as good plow install??

1. NO

32 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. YES

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. EH, what do you expect from anyone anymore

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

Was helping a friend do his lights and i stumbled across this.

He JUST had this plow installed.......by someone who i know can definitely do better than this. ussmileyflag (you know i'm right)

Scotch locks ANYWHERE outside the garbage can IMO are a failure waiting to happen. I guess they may have their place under a dash but on the front of the truck exposed to water and salt near CHICAGO..........come on.....

So......glue lined heat shrink replaced this......now his lights will work longer than 2 seasons..prsport

I mean even Regional Truck uses the water proof version of the scotch lock.....not this garbage. ...:angry:

2. Dissociative

3. Dissociative

heres how i fixed it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these are such junk IMO....

4. Dissociative

sorry for huge pics....if anyone can resize PLEASE DO>..

5. 01CTD2500

01CTD2500 Member

Scotchlocks are the biggest pieces of **** ever invented, every single one should be burnt and recycled into something useful like a water bottle.

6. Dissociative

ok.......lets keep this going as i bet it gets interesting....

7. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I'm glad that I learned to do wiring the right way early on. Those are the worst things to see when I'm looking at buying a car or truck. And a "professional" shop did this?

8. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

I make a decent amount of money fixing vehicles that have scotchloks installed, LOLOL.

9. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

alot of plow shops use them cause they are fast and cheap and dont care

surpised there was not a plug n play harness

10. Dissociative

there is NEVER a plug and play for the turn signals and parking......headlights only

11. Ketch

Ketch Member

There's a different glue-lined heat shrink connector that uses a metal alloy with a low melting point as a solder filler out there, we've been field testing them for a few years and they seem to bedoing a fantastic job so far! They work best with an additional piece of heat shrink applied over them. I think Home Depot carries them outside of the distributor networks. Anybody else used them?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's one that's been properly applied:
    [​IMG]

There's also a super-duper wrap-around end for heat guns just for heat shrink applications, and this company's kit has one on top of the fittings in their nifty little kit:

[​IMG]

Good stuff!

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm guessing that's because of the wide variety of ever-changing grill styles/designs. Plus they are low amp draw so the installers can get a way with a lousy connection......

.......for a while.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Brilliant...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The plow was installed with the parts the factory provided and following the factory's instruction. I will say they at least used the "good" tap connectors pre-loaded with di-electric grease. The di-electric ones work well for use low load use in protected areas and do not require the "specialty" tools like crimpers and heat guns in install. They allow the average guy to install the product with out tool investment and they are considerably cheaper. So as long as the customer places price over quality of install they will be the consistent choice of both manufacturers and installers.

http://www.shop3m.com/80610596605.h...ough&WT.mc_id=3M-com-GoogleOneBox-80610596605

They are about one third the cost of a connector like this
    I like these. you can crimp to hold things in place so you can heat it all one shot when finished assembling.

http://www.delcity.net/store/Butt-Connectors/p_791895.a_1

15. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

Yeah thats how the ass that installed mine did it also. They rape you on installation here since few sell. He also connected the main power to my jumper spot(box connected to alternator) rather than to the battery has anyone seen that before. I have always gone straight to the battery and i also didnt understand this because I have dual batteries.

16. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

in some rare cases i'll go to that spot when installing a used wire harness, but normaly i do try to get to a battery directly. but it is said to be a safe location to pull power from so i dont think its an issue.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Always connect the plow motor cables directly to the battery.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  18. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

you've got to be kidding..
    What a HACKER!!

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We move them constantly and not only owner installs, though they are most common.

And the grounds as well. they are as or more important then the postive feed.

20. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

we allways ground to the block, nomatter what the case is. again i and apparently my boss's that check them out see no problem with pulling from that box by the alt. i do not see why it would be an issue.