1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would you recommend Salt Dogg TGS07? Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by yupitsnuge, Jan 28, 2015.

1. yupitsnuge

yupitsnuge Junior Member
    from NY

I'm a 1 man show. Currently just plowing, but a few of my customers have requested salt or salt/sand. I was going to pull the trigger on a Salt Dogg TGS07 last year, but after my order was held up for 3 months I cancel edit. I went to purchase a TGSUVPROA this morning but then went back to looking at the Salt Dogg TGS07 again. What would you guys suggest? I do a few residential driveways (mostly on hills) and also a few commercial lots. Nothing crazy, just something to make a few extra $$ when my primary business is closed for the snow. I hear you can make some good extra $$ with the salt.

2. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I highly recommend that you don't buy a salt dogg. I did last winter and it was a POS! It never worked and after about 2 weeks I bought a Western salt. I run mostly bag salt through it and it works great.

3. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I actually have both the spreaders you mentioned. The suvpro is 10 years old and just a back up but other that a couple of motors it has been great. Made a lot of money with it.

Last year we got a tgs07 to replace a snow ex 1075. Other than a messed up controller which was swapped out the next day it has been great. We spread all bulk salt and have spread a sand mix a couple of times. Last year the tgs07 spread 24 yards of salt and so far this season it has done 14 yards. I fill the hopper with our skid when I leave and also carry a tote with a yard of salt I shovel in. We wanted to get a bigger spreader this year but with a slow December we held off and now there is a 4 week wait so no point now. The only down fall of the tgs07 is the fact the auger and spinner do not have separate controls. 95% of the time I run it wide open so it doesn't matter but it would be nice. That said it cost a $1,000 less than the large tailgate spreaders that do have separate controls. It has been a good buy for us .

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

We have 3 salt doggs. TGS07, SHPE1500 and a UTG. All have performed excellent. TGS07 did need a new motor/gearbox but that was due to drive backing into another truck. My only real complaint is the two months it took to get the UTG. Buyers kept saying next week, next week.