1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would you put a plow on this???

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by limargie25, Jan 22, 2004.

1. limargie25

limargie25 Guest

Just wondering if anyone would put a plow on this. It is a 01 F-150 crew-cab lariat (my wife's truck). If you would which type and size would you buy for it. Does anyone have a plow on a similar F-150? How does it work out for you? Also does anyone know about the warranty being voided for putting a plow on a F-150?

van 005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2004
  2. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

If you want to put a plow on it they make one. I would go with a sno-way or other light plow. I have a 1500 Avalanche and put the 7.5' MT sno-way plow on it. It does great and I have no complaints (Actually I love it). Not sure if one fits but my second choice would be blizzard. :waving:

3. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

I have an 02 150 ext. cab short bed and I'm running a regular duty 7'6" fisher mm and my truck handles it fine. I never worry about the warranty because I don't trust the mechanics at any dealership you never know if their fixing the problems or not i use my own mechanic. But it does say in the owners manual which 150 you can't put a blade on1

4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

:nono: :nono:

I heard bad things about putting plows on these

5. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Such as what?? I havn't heard anything either way so if there is a no no reason would be nice to know.

6. tacraven

tacraven Junior Member

When I was researching plows to put on my 98 F150 I found that the selection is very limited. A local landscape retailer that I use frequently sells Fisher Plows. Fisher required that a F150 have the 5.4 engine, 4x4 off-road package and the plow prep package. The Fisher plow looked great and is really well made. Fisher required a 3600 front gvw on the Ford. My truck with the 4x4 and 5.4 minus the plow prep is only rated for 3400 gvw on the front. I could use a Fisher plow but the truck would probably sag too much and beat-up the front end.

This means you are really restricted to Snoway, Blizzard (mentioned above) and Hinicker plows. Snoway being the most popular. Buy what is available locally so it can be serviced if need be.

These plows use a closed hydraulic system that all comes off when you take off the plow. These systems also do not use a chain to hold-up the plow. Every other plow system, for the most part, use the chain system that can beat-up light duty trucks such as the F150. The plow tends to bounce because a chain allows movement up while driving around town.

The advantage of these plows (snoway, Blizzard, Hinicker) is that they all have the downpressure system capable of back-dragging. I will be tending to a lot of residential accounts where I need to be able to clear snow from in front of garages.

I found a used Snoway 7.5 MT to put on my truck. I just got all of the wiring installed and the connections cleared of corrosion. The front does not seem to dip much when I lift the plow and the plow itself is quite easy to push/pull around by hand. The down pressure is very effective and lifts the front of the truck a few inched while in use.

7. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Talk to cja1987, he has a 2000 with almost the same truck and he's got the 7.5 Curtis steel plow on it and he seems to like his.

8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

yes i do have a 7'5" steel plow on my '00 F-150Weighs almost 750 LBS. however its an extended cab. I have heard that you are not supposed to plow with the crew cabs because its more weight on the front axels. I don't think plow prep is offered and i think the oweners manuel may say not to put a plow on it. Those are the facts.

In my opinion PUT A PLOW ON IT!!! if you really want it or need it. Dont listen to the manufacturers BS and don't let anyone tell you that you need this engine or you need that engine or it can only be regular cab. No toyota tacomas are recommended for snowplowing but plenty of people have plows on them and they do a good job. Make sure you know your front axel rating and do not exceed it. You can do your own plow prep definately look into adding some timbrens to help out with the load in the front. They are not too expensive and are easy to install you also may want to add a bigger alternator because of the amp draw of the plow maybe not though. As far as the plow like i said check out your front axel rating and go from there if you don't listen to the people who tell you not to plow with the 150 you have a very wide selection of good plows. I do think it may void the warrenty on the crew cabs though:( Just my opinion:D good luck finding a plow!

9. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

I think since that truck's a crew cab your most definately going to need timbrens or airbags no matter what plow you go with. You may want look into Sno-Way; their MT series 7.5' plow weighs <500 pounds. But then again, its tough to find a Sno-Way used... at least from my experience. Might be easier just to buy an old plow truck.

10. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

I beef up the front end and do it!