1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would you plow over a dozen driveways with a Homesteader or Suburbanite?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by NativeLandscape, Dec 1, 2008.

1. NativeLandscape

NativeLandscape Junior Member

Hey guys.

New to the site, and glad to be hear.

We have a Landscape co. here in NJ. Never really got into doing commercial plowing before. I did some plowing on county roads for the DPW and have some other small lot experience. I just put a Homesteader Fisher plow on my 03 Explorer V6. I was just going to do mine and my neighbor's driveways, but I have about 15 VIP clients that want me to plow their driveways. I already "put on the hat" and said I would. So what do you guys think about plowing with the homesteader. I've seen great feedback about the homesteader. Any advice or recommendations? I would probably only do about 3" at a time.

Thanks

:salute:

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Is that the plow that you have to move left and right by hand?

3. NativeLandscape

NativeLandscape Junior Member

No Sir,

All hydraulics. Down-pressure activation too. Fishstick control.

here's the site. http://www.homesteaderplows.com/

Thanks again!

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I dont see why not. I guess I would just go easy on it!

5. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I've spent the last 12 seasons plowing with a Snowbear with great success. You just have to make sure you go gentle and don't try ramming it, and it should hold up fine. I just replaced my Snowbear this year with your same set-up.

[​IMG]

It better work good.....LOL

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I think it will work fine. Just go easy on it. And remember it's not a comercial grade plow.

7. xl1200c

xl1200c Junior Member
    from nj

I also live in NJ and plow my business lot and about 8 drives with a suburbanite. Go slow and don't take it all at once and you will be fine. This plow doesn't get the credit it deserves!!!!!!

8. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

I just went through my first season here in CT. Got a lot of wet/ice packed snow and I didn't usually get home from work till the middle of the storm. Plow did great, stacked as well as I could manuever it, scrapped well and tore up plenty of loose asphalt from our QUALITY roads deteriorating. Onlt time the plow tripped was when I would catch the curb, thing is lightning quick and I only had one issue, a rubber band tore and the Fisher dealer mailed me a new one the next day. The plow did very well :D

9. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

Matts, you running a 2wd or 4wd Tacoma?

10. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

Only Snoway plows have down pressure. Is this something you added?

11. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

they called it a "scrape lock" feature, looks like it is indeed some form of down pressure, my snoway dealer told me that their exclusive patent has run out on the dp systems, there big claim now is the only system to offer a wireless controler

12. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I just bought a Homesteader. Scrape Lock is not the same as down pressure. Scrape lock is supposed to lock the blade once you drop it, but offers no down pressure. As far as I know, Snoway is still the only one with down pressure.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Let me guess your Snoway dealer also sells other makes of plows.

14. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

Overall, I like my Homesteader, but I have already experienced a freeze-up in 15 degree weather this year- and this was right AFTER a cleaning and fluid change at the dealers.

It's been back for a second round of maintenance and my fingers are crossed.

Two years ago, it did the same thing but last year it only happened once, briefly.

Make sure you straighten the blade before heading down the road.

15. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Mine is brand new, what is this "freeze up"??? What was it caused by, and what was the fix in case it happens to me???

16. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

4wd Tacoma 6cyl.

And just like everyone said, Sno-way holds a patent on the downpressure, Fisher/Western markets they're plow as "scrape-lock feature". I use it more than float mode actually, got a gravel pit on one of parking spaces and I'll bulldoze through it if I don't lift the blade a bit, the float sinks it on me. Like the plow, works for me!